Board of Health against quarantine (oh, the irony)

You're trying to put a square peg in a round hole. Either move some place where the local culture is compatible to your desired lifestyle, or accept the local culture for what it is.
You can also petition for less strict standards, go to your local house of representatives to see how you can change this. We're still a free country!

How can you raise healthy chickens if you aren't allowed to temporarily isolate the sick or quarantine any new chickens ? Maybe you can attend meetings and eventually get the rules changed ? Please keep us updated!

How can you raise healthy chickens if you aren't allowed to temporarily isolate the sick or quarantine any new chickens ? Maybe you can attend meetings and eventually get the rules changed ? Please keep us updated!
Oh, man.
I hadn't even considered illness.
I thought the quarantine would be one-and-done, but that makes TOTAL sense.
Fortunately, keeping them confined to the coop limits their exposure to some extent.
I believe the town made these rules without fully comprehending all of the variables involved in chicken care.

Unfortunately any ignorant person with a bachelor's degree in basket weaving is a prime candidate for government employment. The BA get's them hired yet they are entirely unqualified.

A detached garage is not a dwelling. And birds in cages for quarantine is not housing. You should not pay any fines for that. The compost distance is on you though. Move it ASAP and fudge a little saying you complied that day. No fines! Appeal to the town board about temporary quarantine issue if necessary.

A detached garage is not a dwelling. And birds in cages for quarantine is not housing. You should not pay any fines for that
there was a supreme court ruling that determined garages are, in fact, dwellings. also, a traditional homeowner’s policy covers a garage as part of your dwelling the same way it covers a deck as part of your dwelling.

furthermore, even if you want to argue that chickens contained, sleeping, eating, and drinking isn’t “housing” (which it 100% is), having them in the garage is still contrary to this section of the rule
a) "No poultry shall be allowed to forage, stray, or roam unrestricted at the premises or elsewhere; hens must at all times be confined to the coop/henhouse and run"

the HOA board is allowing chickens on their terms. they obviously want to keep the community to a certain aesthetic standard without chickens free ranging in yards or chicken shanty towns with multiple coops on people’s properties. that’s why the rule is so clear and restrictive.

the minute you allow cages in a garage for “temporary” housing, you’re gonna have people abuse that rule.

I don't really have any useful advice to spare, but just came here to say that's so crazy that people's hard earned money (tax dollars) is going toward this. Shame on them because it doesn't seem to me that you're doing anything wrong, and I really don't think they should be able to just show up and inspect the place like that. Assuming they didn't tell you beforehand they were coming?

I don't really have any useful advice to spare, but just came here to say that's so crazy that people's hard earned money (tax dollars) is going toward this. Shame on them because it doesn't seem to me that you're doing anything wrong, and I really don't think they should be able to just show up and inspect the place like that. Assuming they didn't tell you beforehand they were coming?
i don’t agree with the surprise inspections either but it’s written very plainly in the bylaws for OPs town.

as for the rest of your post, we (for the most part) get to choose where we live. if you don’t like how tax money is spent in a certain town, you can vote with your hard earned dollars and take them to another town that aligns better with the way you want to live.

this isn’t a hard concept at all. emotional responses to black and white issues rarely help.

Back
Top Bottom