Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I haven't been to their site in a while, but when I was last there I had more East Indie ducks at my farm than existed in the rest of the US/world.

Walt

I have no idea on how they get their numbers all I know when it comes to say Rose Comb Rhode Island Red large fowl I may know four or five people at best. These are breeders who have been breeding their birds for five to ten years. How many breeders do they have in the winter. Lets say 10 average per person. There may be a few people who have some of their birds that they bought at shows or they may have sold as chicks. Now with Single Comb Rhode Island Red large fowl their may be six to ten breeders. That is how I make my judgment. It dont make any difference if their is 50 or 200 left that is low.

In the area of black Sumatra's there are a few breeders left and some good ones because they win at the shows but maybe at the most 150 per year in the winter.

What screws up the counts on these rare breeds is the hatcheries. They count their birds and they are hard to score 88 points out of a hundred. I think you have to have a bird that scores at least 90 points to win first place at a show or fair what ever.

All I know is we are finding a few of the old lines and we will find more as we talk about it on this thread.

In a few days I will introduce you to some pretty Light Brahma large fowl. The kind I thought I had when I started in 1960 but had the production type. bob

I am searching for more info on Lamonas, if anyone knows of anyone ?
And looking into Chantecler as well...and, I searched for almost 19 months before I found my RIWs...they sure are nice babies, too.
Will have fertile eggs in a few months.
And nice Black Javas.
Does anyone know of a good Chantecler or Lamona breeder ?
Red Caps are intriguing also...wow what a bird !

Last edited:
I have not made up my mind on that yet, still I would love to see both, and Urch's stock as well, I hear he has some nice RIWs as well.
Does this person have a web site or can I contact ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom