Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
In other words, when you have to take 3 or 4 heritage breeds, to make a 2nd breed, can you really call it a breed or just a selctively choosen mutt ?

None of our "breeds" of poultry or other livestock for that matter exist in nature. They're all the result of selective breeding &/or mutation. This is no more true of Lamonas than it is of Plymouth Rocks or Leghorns. [ Before all you Jungle Fowl proponents jump on me they're the exception]​

Quote:
None of our "breeds" of poultry or other livestock for that matter exist in nature. They're all the result of selective breeding &/or mutation. This is no more true of Lamonas than it is of Plymouth Rocks or Leghorns. [ Before all you Jungle Fowl proponents jump on me they're the exception]

I guess that is so very true now that I think of it...like dogs...they all have been selectively bred and inter bred to become what they are today~
I gotta go mess with the brooder again, darn it !

Quote:
None of our "breeds" of poultry or other livestock for that matter exist in nature. They're all the result of selective breeding &/or mutation. This is no more true of Lamonas than it is of Plymouth Rocks or Leghorns. [ Before all you Jungle Fowl proponents jump on me they're the exception]

NYREDS,

What is meant by above in respect to jungle fowl? I have such a comment before but seem to be missing point.

Quote:

NYREDS,

What is meant by above in respect to jungle fowl? I have such a comment before but seem to be missing point.

Chickens (Gallus gallus domesticus) are said to be a subspecies of the Jungle Fowl.
Some say the Red Junglefowl (Gallus gallus) others say the Grey Junglefowl (Gallus sonneratii).

Chris

From their November 2010 Poultry Press advertisement on page 2:

100 varieties Exhibition Poultry

We deliver to the following shows that we attend

Illni - Belveder, IL; West Central Wisconsin - Menomonie, WI; Wisconsisn International - Portage, WI; New Ulm - Minnesota; Minnesota State Fair - Hutchinson; Ohio National

1-507-451-6782

Bewtween 6:00 PM and 9:00 Pm CST

Email - [email protected]

Duane and Phyllis Urch
2142 NW 47th Avenue
Owatonna, Minnesota 55060

Tim and Julie Turnlund
2126 NW 47th Avenue
Owatonna, Minnesota 55060

US Pullorum Clean Since 1957
NPIP #269​

Quote:
NYREDS,

Chickens (Gallus gallus domesticus) are said to be a subspecies of the Jungle Fowl.
Some say the Red Junglefowl (Gallus gallus) others say the Grey Junglefowl (Gallus sonneratii).

Chris

I see, thanks. Domestic not recognized as domesticated composite red jungle (85%) and grey jungle (15%)?

The administrator of BYC has a thread going. It is asking us what we would like to see on BYC. Suggestions for additions or improvements. Thought you all may have some ideas.

I suggested an area for advanced fanciers or for our experts, and an area where specific breed clubs could communicate. I don't know if that makes sense or not .... If you have ideas, here is the thread ...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=388925

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom