Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I have no idea where there getting there stats but I think there off a little.
Maybe ALBC is pulling breeds out of a hat to be on the Critical list.

That might be another list that the APA could work on.
wink.png

Chris

Quote:
No has ever contacted me about what kind of rabbits or chickens I have, ever.
I was an ARBA member up until this spring when I figured 'why?'
Even so, I could have had many kinds of rabbits and no one asked other than the one I raised professionally, Californians.

Mr. Urch does not have a web site and I have never seen a email addres. If there is a breed you want and its on his large fowl list which I found on this site a week or so ago they should be the best from a hatchery type person. Ideal Mr. Fox may have pulled a trick out of his hat as some times he has pretty good large fowl to on these extream rare breeds. I have never seen a R I White. I have seen some pictures in Australia and I saw one two years ago that was made from my white rock rooster on some Hatchery White Wyandottes. Her top line was flat as can be and she had a brick shape.

Harry Lamons breed never got off the ground like so many others in the 40s and 50s they dont breed true and no one wants to fool with them. Its hard enough to get people to keep the odd colors in Wyandottes and Plymouth Rocks.

Keep searching and maybe someone will help you find the breed. If you do find them let me know and I will put them in my data base.

You are the only one I know that has R I Whites.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1747222

Here is the list of birds he has on his brochure.
http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html
here is a interesting chart I found when I googled Lamona
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamona

http://feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/Lamona/BRKLamona.htm

If any would be found they would be in the Ill or Minn area. Mr. Nash may have some old friends that still has them.

bob

Last edited:
50801_riws2.jpg

Under abrooder light
50801_mot1.jpg

cockeral
These birds I hatched from eggs I got back east.
They swore were not hatchery birds and the girls got chicks from an old guy out in the country.
I called her for more and she has sold the flock of roo and several hens she had.
But they can still be had.
They are blocky...and excellent foragers.
And this little roo has been semi-agressive and spunky since he hatched.
I really am getting to like them.
They do grow slow, but are really meaty, I could not believe a few days ago I caught them and put them from the brooder pen into a coop, and they have a large amount of flesh on them !

50801_mots_daddy.jpg

Parent Stock, and I believe these came from New Hampshire, go figure.
Sorry I did not post with the last post of the offspring, but my lock down incubator is acting up...
I love these birds...but I have given it alot of thought, and do they not appear like big white wyandottes, and Chanteclers ?
If they were all in a pen could we tell them apart ?
I do not know, all 3 (and lamonas) are a mix of breeds that existed in the first place, so can we really call them heritage ?
In other words, when you have to take 3 or 4 heritage breeds, to make a 2nd breed, can you really call it a breed or just a selctively choosen mutt ?
wink.png

I know these birds are not wyandottes, the roo is much more aggressive eand much meatier.
From out of the egg, the cockeral would charge a hand that came in to change the feeder...so funny !
Probably have to wear armor to collect eggs...that is no wyandotte !
Leah, the woman I got these eggs from whose parent birds you see here, says the daddy roo is so sweet and easy to get along with...:/we shall see said the blind man....

My understanding is that ALBC's data collection methods leave a lot to be desired. I'm told that they send census cards to ALBC members & the cards that return form their census base.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom