Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don knows were most of the good waterfowl is located. Say hi to him Sunday for me.

Walt

Don says hello Walt

Good luck with the birds
Charlie​

Quote:
I will get you contact info for
Lance Ewert he bought out a lot of Brian Schulte's lines and I think he got Brian's Buffs.
Don Roscoe will know who has the best buffs in the country. I'll be talking to him on Sunday.

Good luck with the birds
Charlie

Lance Ewert bought Brians AM Buff geese and Brian's stock came from Holddereads and Fred Zillich in MO.
Don recommends
Lance Ewert 320-224-7415
Fred Zillich 660-875-2572

Good luck with the birds
Charlie

Quote:
No it is a French Mottled Java having a bad hair day.

Here are the 2 best in the country Grey Call breeders per Don
Art Lundgren in NY and Dennis Fuller in you guessed it Iowa that is in the Midwest.
I am working on breeding info for you.

I hope you are sitting down when you read the rest of this post and are no longer on Nyquil.
I called a fellow yesterday about a lead I got on good White Orpingtons. I am really looking forward to meeting this fellow after talking to him.

Are you ready? I was ready with my 99 questions but after question three I nearly fell of the chair.
1) I know you have nice White Orps and I heard you made them from Buffs.
answer... Oh yes I have spent the last 28 years making and raising them.
2) I used to have Cecil Moore Whites about 15 years ago did you ever have any of his birds.
answer... Well I got birds from him about the same time but the tornado came through that summer and killed them all.
3) So where did you get your blood lines from in the Buffs?
answer... Oh I got my Buffs from Bob Coulter
4) We just plain old talked birds

I had to get a beer. Yup he took Bob Coulter as in Clevenger birds and kept pulling the light colored birds till he had true breeding whites.
I still can't believe it. He may have birds this fall to sell. Will be emailing you the info bill and elias no chicks or eggs.

They are still out there when you are really looking for them. Go find em girls and boys.
Just ask people you meet if they know any old people Like Bob and Charlie (how old are you Walt and Saladin) that have chickens.

Good luck with the birds
Charlie

Charlie if you were a woman I'd kiss you! lololol I have been wanting some Bob Coulter Buffs yet alone WHTES!! I'll pay to be in that line.
Thank you CHARLIE!! Your a GOD!

Quote:
Anyone please help chime in here, but Wynette, if a LT Brahma would help the Col Rock, I cant help but believe a Dark Brahma would do the same for the SPRs. I think I would go thru the American Brahma club and find the best you can possibly get!

Just my opinion as I am certainly still learning myself

Yard full o' rocks before you start crossing or messing with those rocks talk to Gary Underwood or Shanon Higgins about the genetic ramifications. There is another guy henk69 on BYC from New Zealand that knows genetics.

I would call Tim Bowles he will remember the bird and conversation as you are well aware they aren't common.

It could ruin your line or set you back about 10 years. I would bet money that it is the under color that was in question it should be a fairly dark slate grayish color if you do not watch it has a tendancy to lighten. Is white dominant in a rock? Columbian [attern is one of the least understood. Be patient you can get the dark under color through selection. Hatch a lot of birds and cull.

My buddy was told the same thing about using a LT Brahma.

My buddy has Columbian Wyandottes here is a question posed to Shanon in November 2010.

Question... If you wanted to ad size to columbian wyandottes using light brahmas would you put a wyandotte cock on light hens, a light cock on wyandotte hens or both? What would you do the next generation? I have a friend with the wyadottes, guess who has the lights. Any guesstimates in a time frame on comb and feather foot differances to disappear with severe culling at work?
Later Charlie

Here is the reply from Shanon on crossing a LT Brahma on a Columbian Wyandotte

This is a much more tricky thing to do than changing color. Neither comb or foot feather traits in these birds are sex linked, and since you are not changing color it wont matter how you cross them. But, both the feathering and the pea comb are incomplete dominates meaning that it will be hard to determine genotype on a lot of the birds based on phenotype. This will muddy up your culling when the gene frequencies get low for both traits, and could result in persistent problems with leg stubs and random pea combs popping up in later breedings. The pea comb hides very easily behind apparent single combs making it much easier to cull single combs than pea combs. You may be bitting off more than you can chew with this one, and may never get a completely clean wyandotte flock again. It may be time better spent to keep selecting for larger birds in your wyandotte flock, or crossing to a clean legged, single comb breed that is larger like rocks or sussex. Even if they are not the same color as your wyandottes it will be much easier to get them breeding true again. Sorry for the not so great news on that question. Keep me posted on how things are going.

Shannon

Good luck with the birds
Charlie

Thanks for the advise Charlie!!

Gonna stick with what I have, raise 75-100 chicks from the Canadian trio I have and keep only the best 5-10 in the bunch.

I think these guys give me a good start

25882_cimg2159.jpg

I have "culled" everything from the Ohio strain (the birds that Tim judged) except for 2 pullets that I will save for a little genetic diversity...plus one girl has EXCEPTIONAL undercolor

First hatch is due tomorrow....1 of 3 has already pipped. 10 more set, 2 weeks behind these and I'm putting more in tomorrow

Just gotta finish downsizing some of the misc birds I have to insure I have room for everything....I am going to raise Col Rocks and CRs only, at least for now

Quote:

Art Lundgren in NY and Dennis Fuller in you guessed it Iowa that is in the Midwest.
I am working on breeding info for you.

I hope you are sitting down when you read the rest of this post and are no longer on Nyquil.
I called a fellow yesterday about a lead I got on good White Orpingtons. I am really looking forward to meeting this fellow after talking to him.

Are you ready? I was ready with my 99 questions but after question three I nearly fell of the chair.
1) I know you have nice White Orps and I heard you made them from Buffs.
answer... Oh yes I have spent the last 28 years making and raising them.
2) I used to have Cecil Moore Whites about 15 years ago did you ever have any of his birds.
answer... Well I got birds from him about the same time but the tornado came through that summer and killed them all.
3) So where did you get your blood lines from in the Buffs?
answer... Oh I got my Buffs from Bob Coulter
4) We just plain old talked birds

I had to get a beer. Yup he took Bob Coulter as in Clevenger birds and kept pulling the light colored birds till he had true breeding whites.
I still can't believe it. He may have birds this fall to sell. Will be emailing you the info bill and elias no chicks or eggs.

They are still out there when you are really looking for them. Go find em girls and boys.
Just ask people you meet if they know any old people Like Bob and Charlie (how old are you Walt and Saladin) that have chickens.

Good luck with the birds
Charlie

There have been some people recently that have had White birds come out of their Buff Orpingtons that are working with those.

Quote:

I respectfully disagree with the above statement. IMO and several other opinions from well noted & respected veteran waterfowl "breeders"..Art Lundgren and Evy Avery are the 2 best grey call breeders in the country. Lundgren and Avery's show records speak for themselves. Because someone goes and purchases top birds from Art Lundgren and Brice Wonders, has the funds and will to advertize that they are the best of the midwest, campaigns and wins with those birds in a short amount of time doesn't make them a breeder. They are solely a buyer and exhibitor.

Scott you are doing the best thing I think taking your few best OH undercolored typed birds to mate with the Canadian line birds. I am sure Tim Bowles was referring to undercolor when talking about that male that was shown by a customer of yours. Taking another breed and crossing it onto the Rocks would likely be more problematic and years of unnecessary work than what it is worth. You have what you need to work with now.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Yard full o' rocks :

[Just gotta finish downsizing some of the misc birds I have to insure I have room for everything....I am going to raise Col Rocks and CRs only, at least for now

Excuse me for not understanding this modern age abbreviated lingo. What does CR stand for???​

In regards to my request for quality non hatchery Delawares, I have been to the Delaware club site although my preference is to purchase from BYC breeders since there is at least some familiarity even if its just from reading your posts. The response from the Delaware site has been mixed although I have not yet contacted EVERY breeder on the list. Seems I must do that. Maybe one will come through. Thank you Lotsapaints for your kind PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom