Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yard Full of Rocks, I bet your birds are awesome! Following the different conversations on them, it sounds like there have been some interesting steps taken to safeguard genetic diversity. Are there two strains? One from Canada, one not? Or perhaps two offshoots of the same strain whose reuniting provide a strong genetic base? With some good farm breeding as presented by the ALBC you could end up with some top Rocks. They could be productive as to honor the name of Plymouth Rock and beautiful as to inspire others to strive for perfection. What would they possibly be out-crossed to a big fluffy mess that lays 50 undersized eggs a year and taking 2 years to flesh out?

Yellow house...

As I understand it, I have a cockerel and a pullet from the sire that Bob posted a pix from. I have another pullet (Canadian) from a different family line. I also have a line from an Ohio breeder. These birds are much smaller in size, but I am going to keep the "best" 2 pullets for size/type/tail/undercolor and breed them to the Canadian cockerel to insure I indeed have some good genetic diversity

Not sure if I answered your question or not.....hope so

First hatch from the trio is due WEDNESDAY!! I can't wait

Quote:
Hmmm...the one point I'd make there, and it might not need ot be made, but chickens are thoroughly omnivorous and animal protein is vital to their health. The push for all plant-protein feeds is not in keeping with the dietary needs of heritage fowl. Of course, if quality forage is available they'll probably fulfill all their needs on their own. But a few years back I called all of the different feed distributors in the area looking for any brand that still used animal protein in their recipes and they all responded negatively. I think that the lack of animal proteins in commercial feeds may be the base of several husbandry problems.

A picture is worth a thousand words......

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/66947_mouser.jpeg

Waltr

Yeah! I have a particularly fond memory of a female muscovy taking it out on a vole!

And, please, Walt, know that what I type I mean as a means to open conversation and questioning. I very much appreciate what you add to this thread and acknowledge your superior mastery.

Yard full o' rocks :

Quote:
Thank you very much....wasn't sure if it was ok to feed them or not

In a side note, take on of your roasts, immerse it in a mixture of red wine, red wine vinegar, and water. Add some bay leaves, black pepper, a good amount of salt, a good amount of sugar, a few cloves (if you have them) a few juniper berries (if you have them). Let it sit immersed, in your fridge for three days. Then roast it and see if it isn't delicious.

Cheers,

Joseph​

Yard full o' rocks :

Yard Full of Rocks, I bet your birds are awesome! Following the different conversations on them, it sounds like there have been some interesting steps taken to safeguard genetic diversity. Are there two strains? One from Canada, one not? Or perhaps two offshoots of the same strain whose reuniting provide a strong genetic base? With some good farm breeding as presented by the ALBC you could end up with some top Rocks. They could be productive as to honor the name of Plymouth Rock and beautiful as to inspire others to strive for perfection. What would they possibly be out-crossed to a big fluffy mess that lays 50 undersized eggs a year and taking 2 years to flesh out?

Yellow house...

As I understand it, I have a cockerel and a pullet from the sire that Bob posted a pix from. I have another pullet (Canadian) from a different family line. I also have a line from an Ohio breeder. These birds are much smaller in size, but I am going to keep the "best" 2 pullets for size/type/tail/undercolor and breed them to the Canadian cockerel to insure I indeed have some good genetic diversity

Not sure if I answered your question or not.....hope so

First hatch from the trio is due WEDNESDAY!! I can't wait

Very cool! It sounds like you have a lot of blood floating around your backyard.

Yours are due Wednesday? I just pulled our first today. I culled very hard. I think I kept 7 out of 30. I'm fixing the darned toes this year, even if I have to hatch from now until June. I've reached the point of putting the proverbial foot down!​

Quote:
A picture is worth a thousand words......

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/66947_mouser.jpeg

Waltr

Yeah! I have a particularly fond memory of a female muscovy taking it out on a vole!

And, please, Walt, know that what I type I mean as a means to open conversation and questioning. I very much appreciate what you add to this thread and acknowledge your superior mastery.

I know that, just posting my perspective. That is one of the things I like abut this hobby. There is a lot of ways to achieve the same goals and the disclaimer I usually add on some of my posts is: "It works for me here with my management and environment, but it may not work for you".

I defend showing because I think it is a way to force out high quality birds. I know it is not for everyone, but it helps create some awesome heritage birds. Not just pretty birds, but birds that can produce beyond the original intent. What I find is that many people only see the outside (pretty) package. As an example: look at your Dorkings and if you can't put your fist between their legs (hand held like holding a hammer) without moving the legs they will never perform well. It is an indication of unthriftyness. (I'm not picking on you btw).....
lol.png
This is just something a lot of people don't notice. All the things I have learned have been because of showing, so in my opinion it is a good thing overall for the hobby.

Walt

Quote:
i am too and cant seem to find anyone with some good heritage delaware hatching eggs. pm me also

Glad to know I am not the only one. Thought I might get axed and sent to the WTB thread and still might but no one looks there. I think the best place to look for quality birds is the breed threads but unfortunately from what I've seen most requests are ignored. You would think with a rare breed that needs to be revived and increased in numbers breeders would be on the lookout for potential new serious breeders but seems not so. Probably the reason the breed is so rare.

Quote:

I know that, just posting my perspective. That is one of the things I like abut this hobby. There is a lot of ways to achieve the same goals and the disclaimer I usually add on some of my posts is: "It works for me here with my management and environment, but it may not work for you".

I defend showing because I think it is a way to force out high quality birds. I know it is not for everyone, but it helps create some awesome heritage birds. Not just pretty birds, but birds that can produce beyond the original intent. What I find is that many people only see the outside (pretty) package. As an example: look at your Dorkings and if you can't put your fist between their legs (hand held like holding a hammer) without moving the legs they will never perform well. It is an indication of unthriftyness. (I'm not picking on you btw).....
lol.png
This is just something a lot of people don't notice. All the things I have learned have been because of showing, so in my opinion it is a good thing overall for the hobby.

Walt

THank you for that! I grab any piece of old Dorking knowledge I can get a hold of. Luckily, I'm pretty sure my birds would pass the test. I'm attentive to their stance, but I had never heard it phrased that way! I'll have to try that specifically next time I'm handling them. Thank you kindly!

On another note, to share with the thread, because several were discussing the pleasures of Buff geese. Well, we roasted one up on Sunday for some friends. We had stuffed it with homemade sauerkraut and ground cherry jam. Today we put the carcass in the crock pot. Tonight, returning from yoga, we each settle down to a nice big mug of golden goos broth with salt and pepper---simple, clean, and delicious. I f you haven't eaten one of your American Buffs yet, I highly recommend it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom