Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Referring to colored varieties of Rocks..Is there any truth that the color comes from the cock bird and type comes from the females? Or does it matter which sex gives those particular traits as long as you have birds with the desired traits already in a particular mating?

Thanks

In a article written in one of newsletters the author felt the best male with color helped with the color in Columbian and the female for type. She still had good color but he would use say the very best colored male for his favorite mating. In Partridge it is the very hardest color pattern of the Rock breed. I think you pretty much have to double mate them for results. You almost need a Phd. It is not a color pattern to start out new with. That is why no buddy sticks with them.
Same with Silver Pencilled. It is a crap shoot. We have articles on both color patterns.

In R I Reds the female neck feather is paramount in getting the black to theright places. If she has stripes her sons will have stripes and then your whole combinaion for breeding is out the window with lots of color culls.

I have white rocks in bantams and getting back with my old large fowl strain. It is a good bird to own and practice for breeding good rock type. Then say after five years of success get your colored rock and start learning how to breed for color.

Excellent question. bob

I had sorta similar experience that you had Bob earlier this year with a Black Orp cockerel. I thought he had a nice full rounded breast, nice tail but the angle was a bit higher then SOP wanted. And he was smaller. So, I did do a brief breeding until some of the experts on another site which has many master caliber breeders tell me my boy looked more like an Australorp then an Orp. And I shown him and he did not do so well. So, I sold him to a local lady who was giving him to a young boy to show as a Meat bird in a county fair. I did not think anything about it until this cockerel's offspring started to grow out. And then I realized I gave away a bird which has the genetics to make better birds then himself. Not only he made nice Orps with a pair of my better hens, I took him to one of my project birds which has a narrow butt and is slight in weight and they produced two monster sized cockerels. Needless to say I learned a lesson in genetics and breeding. As the ole saying goes "Never read a book by it's cover". That can be said in my case with this cockerel.

Last edited:
Got emails for two orders for eggs or chicks. This fall or this spirng what ever you have to help these beginners. These are the rarest of colors

Partridge Plymouth Rocks Large Fowl

Silver Pencilled Plymouth Rock Large Fowl

Who has them so I can help these two folks out.

There has been about ten people who have asked for this color pattern in the last six months.

Your help is always great full. Bob Blosl Secetary Plymouth Rock Fanciers Club of America

A Silver Duckwing Asil
wink.png

What do you think ?
12005_father_asil.jpg

I have officially read through this thread. WOW! There is so much information packed into these 420 pages!

I am new to chickens this year (I did raise a few a couple years ago, but made so many mistakes). I am very much into the heritage/standard/whatever you want to call them...dual purpose chickens. I have always been interested in the self sustaining idea and figured that this is just another step toward that. I did a lot of research over the winter and decided that my breed of choice was the Delaware...I know that it is on the cusp of what would be considered "heritage", but I believe they will fit my needs perfectly! I do have other chickens in my pen for adding color to the flock (speckled sussex, new hampshire, partridge rock, dominique, and ameraucana - none of which are hatchery), but I am going to be focusing solely on Delawares for breeding. I also want to breed them to as close to SOP as possible, so feel free to critique any of my birds at any time with no fear of hurting my feelings! Hopefully I'll get some pictures up soon.

I can't tell you how much I learned by reading through this thread and I hope that it continues! There were so many times that I wanted to ask questions....but unfortunately the time had passed. Now that I am caught up, I feel like I will be able to be a part of the conversation!

Thank you Bob for creating this thread. Thank you to everyone who has participated to this point.

Quote:
I would love to see a pic of this bird standing upright.

Walt

Will do
wink.png

Give me a while to down load pics.
Also are you familur with the Asil ?

Last edited:
Quote:
I would love to see a pic of this bird standing upright.

Walt

Will do
wink.png

Give me a while to down load pics.
Also are you familur with the Asil ?

I am pretty familiar with them. I've raised them for a few years and I currently raise black Asils.

Walt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom