Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Karen, I am so impressed! You did a very good job explaining why a biodiversity advocate is actually anti-breed preservation, and only pro-species preservation.

Selecting with no regard for specific traits that differentiate one breed from another is counter to the goals of a breeder trying to preserve and improve a breed. If one decides to breed the absolute healthiest, fastest-growing chicks from each hatch with no regard for how closely they resemble his or her chosen breed, unless by some incredible luck they happen also to be the best breed representatives it will not be long before traits integral to the breed begin to disappear.

I appreciate the reference to mammal breeders and how poultry differs by virtue of broader inherent genetic diversity. I saw an earlier question about how it adds to genetic diversity if you just breed more chicks from the same two parents, and the answer is that each chick picks up a unique combination of the parents' genes; same reason human brothers rarely look identical to one another. This backup set of genes is preserved by placing culled pullets into the laying flock and keeping at least one extra cockerel from the year's combinations. Yes that can still go wrong, but for most breeds, when left with a failed backup plan one can usually find a related line somewhere. The rare breed is not the rule.

You can start with 2 birds and have as much genetic veration, as if you would have out crossed. You do not need to start with this large and vast amount of diversity. Sure the more you have the better! But that does not mean you can not get it with out only have two or three birds. The key is numbers! The more you breed the wider the selection will be! If you start with only two you will need to hatch out LOTS. (Thousands!) of chicks to get genetic diversity. And using just a few breeding techquines you can do this while increasing genetic diversity, while not increasing how in bred they are. This is not information i am making up. Conversations with a great breeder and friend (Also a Biologist). You know you could end up with duplicates, sure. But 99% of breeds are not to the point where we need to worry about it. Also i have taken note that only slight devation's in the same strain but bred by seperate breeders is enough. Coupled with correct breeding strategics it's better then outcrossing.

I am wondering if you have bred chickens for any length of time? Even though i have only breeding for six years, there are somethings you just find out. The first year of breeding i developed a new line of Blue Rosecombs. Never got the to SQ before i dispresed of them because i lost interest in the flighty little breed

So how does this genetic diversity develop? Especially with the same parents or at least one shared parent?

And after a while wouldn't the birds eventually get inbred since they are out the same original parent stock?

By doing so you get to see chickens express more genes that were not expressed. And again also using the correct breeding tehquine helps. Flock mating is one of the best things i have ever done!

marengoite, I have been quietly watching this debate , and I do not see the point of your argument , all a " pure breed " is is a bird that breeds true. I have to ask do you exhibit birds ? if you do , how well are u doing , or have you notices that your lines keep getting smaller or losing some of the type. How do you think exhibitors achieve winning stock , THEY OUTCROSS lmao , you can introduce a completly different breed and achieve the chang u need to win , you may throw a few "sports" (a good example) say a splash when producing blues ...you mentioned blue andilusion ...do you know if you dont introduce a black they will lose thier lacing? any way just making a point

Well some folks think I'm a successful breeder and I have had show successes.......but I don't, nor have I ever outcrossed and I do just fine....lmao. I don't care if people outcross, X breed or whatever they need to do, but every time I hear that you need to outcross "to keep genetic diversity " I laugh out loud. I have had a flock of Leghorns that have never had any outside blood introduced to them in 30 years and don't have any that can't do a respectable job in a show after me making the huge mistake of not adding "genetic diversity" to them up with inbreeding for 30 years...lmao! You sound like an expert, so I will defer to your expertise. I'm going out now to look at the birds and decide if I need to kill my flock or just add some of Bob's Silkie blood to get that diversity up, so that they don't develop a third eye.

I love BYC!......so much good chicken info here.

Walt

Well some folks think I'm a successful breeder and I have had show successes.......but I don't, nor have I ever outcrossed and I do just fine....lmao. I don't care if people outcross, X breed or whatever they need to do, but every time I hear that you need to outcross "to keep genetic diversity " I laugh out loud. I have had a flock of Leghorns that have never had any outside blood introduced to them in 30 years and don't have any that can't do a respectable job in a show after me making the huge mistake of not adding "genetic diversity" to them up with inbreeding for 30 years...lmao! You sound like an expert, so I will defer to your expertise. I'm going out now to look at the birds and decide if I need to kill my flock or just add some of Bob's Silkie blood to get that diversity up, so that they don't develop a third eye.

I love BYC!......so much good chicken info here.

Walt
Walt.....would you just stop beating around the bush? Come on.....LMAO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom