Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know gray hatch game hens are very good mothers. I have had some gray hatch X Leghorns that are excellent mothers as well. Very protective of their chicks I've seen them attack our dogs and my pigs.
Silkies are good broodies as well, and I have seen light Sussex that were very persistent sitters.

I keep thinking to natural incubation/brooding. I haven't had any luck with hens that will commit. I have and still consider getting some birds for this reason.

I keep thinking to natural incubation/brooding. I haven't had any luck with hens that will commit. I have and still consider getting some birds for this reason.

George I got 'em, and too, I'd just almost put a guarontee to go along with them as I'm that confident these girls would/will do the job for you, they have proven themselves many a time to me, that is.
th.gif

Mine are a conglomeration a AGs and Silver duck-wing Phoenix(more than likely a game cross of some sort from the hatchery) and my mixes of Atchafalaya swampers, LOL I think they would set on a rock/or nothing at all, till it hatched or they expired from exhaustion and malnutrition.

Jeff

Last edited:
Thanks on the new baby. I'm excited and scared out of my mind at the same time! My 3yr old is a blast but a 3yr old and a new born together at one time is going to be interesting.

Chris

Chris,

As the time gets closer, just start preparing your three year old. Talk to him/her about the new baby and then when the time arrives, enlist his/her help in the things that he/she is capable of doing. Be sure to include him/her and there really shouldn't be a problem. No worries mate.

George I got 'em, and too, I'd just almost put a guarontee to go along with them as I'm that confident these girls would/will do the job for you, they have proven themselves many a time to me, that is.
th.gif

Mine are a conglomeration a AGs and Silver duck-wing Phoenix(more than likely a game cross of some sort from the hatchery) and my mixes of Atchafalaya swampers, LOL I think they would set on a rock/or nothing at all, till it hatched or they expired from exhaustion and malnutrition.

Jeff

Are those Atchafalaya Swampers considered a heritage breed? Maybe you should sell some on ebay.

Get ten sitters that will go broody then you dont need light bulbs

Here is a question will a Jungle Fowl make a good sitting hen?

if not what are your top picks in the chicken world. bob

Our Dorkings are strong broodies, They go down pretty fast. They never quit a nest, and they make great mothers. We save around 25 cull pullets we saved out as our sub broody flock this year. We're going to use primarily natural incubation thi year. It adds more physical labor in way of filling waterers, etc., but the electric bills spent in heavy production take a big bite out of the funds. It's just not worth it.

Some of the girls are already walking around their copp clucking. I doubt it will be long before they start going down.

Chris,

As the time gets closer, just start preparing your three year old. Talk to him/her about the new baby and then when the time arrives, enlist his/her help in the things that he/she is capable of doing. Be sure to include him/her and there really shouldn't be a problem. No worries mate.
X2,

My daughter was 2 when the wife an I had our son, I think at times my daughter was more excited than I was. lol
My daughter was mad when she had to spend the day at my parents wile mommy was at home giving birth to her new baby brother. ("we"/ my wife had home births)

Chris

The best broody hen you will ever have is a good American Game Hen.

Chris

I know I saw a picture on here not too long ago of some kind of game hen with her chicks out in the snow. Is there a particular kind of game hen that is best for brooding? We don't get a lot of snow here but we do have some pretty mean winds in the winter and it does get quite cold. In the last week we haven't gotten above freezing at all. Been down in the single digits at night. At least we're not having wind right now. I hate that wind. Anyway. I struggle with issues due to frostbite. Trying to have a barn that isn't totally open because of the wind but still have air freshening so I don't have moisture problems is a challenge.

This conversation has me thinking about using broodies next year too. I think it would definitely be less labor intensive for me... except for the watering/feeding aspect later, but I'd have to do that anyway with several pens of chicks.

Dorkings never quit a nest hu? Never beat up the babies when they arrive either? Anything else as reliable as Dorkings and American Games? I have one silkie cross that I will use if she decides to be broody for me... at least I hope she's a girl. I don't have much experience with that breed and realize its a little hard to tell.

Do you guys move these birds to broody coops when they do their thing or are they sensitive about being moved? I just wouldn't want my other girls laying eggs in the broody nest because then I have to fish them out of there. No fun when you have a broody mama waiting for a chance to take a piece of your hand!

I think Tim Johnson of Weston, Ohio has some. I don't know if he sells eggs or chicks though. His contact info should be on the Ohio National's website. I believe he is the president of that club. If you can't find it let me know and I can probably find it for you.
Ok, Thanks for the tip.

Chris

Chris,

My 3yr old is a little girl...she is awesome!.

(This was our first show, the birds were entered in her name)

We did not find out when my wife was pregnant for her but with the new baby we found out early (it's a girl also) so we could start preparing Bug for the new baby's arrival. We even picked out her name and already use it to help with the changes coming up in just a few short months.

My fear is that my wife works a bunch of late nights with her practice so I have our little girl with me a lot. I just got things under control (lol, yea right) and now I'm going to have two to take care of. I guess that's it, a baby, a 3 yr old and the rest of our little farm. (lol) I'll get it figured out!!!!

Chris

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom