Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for your posts. I have got many personnel messages and learned of Eric Nelson in Maine who I forgot about. Does anyone have his line or have seen his Barred Rocks at shows?

In regards to Larry Urban. He normally buys the top lines when he goes to the Ohio National and brings them back to Washington.

So they should be a good gene pool of birds.

A side note story about Larry Urban goes back to when I was about seven years old. I went to St Mary's Catholic Grade School in Centralia Washington and one day my mother was walking me to the bus stop to go to school which was about a mile from our house. Larry lived behind a old grocery store on the way and there was some White Wyandotte Large Fowl in some pens next to the building. I walked over to these birds and said to my mother these are the prettiest chickens I ever saw. She said you don't want those chickens they are Show Chickens. They wont lay any eggs.
I said to my mother they are still beautiful and there is just something about them I like.

About five years latter I met Larry at the South West Washington Fair. I got into Standard Breed Chickens with Light Brahmas, Then Rhode Island Reds and White Rocks.

One thing about Larry he knows chickens as he has had them all his life and he can spot a good one. Thanks for the message and bring back some good memories.

Last edited:
Bob,

Nothing real new to add about who has what in rocks...
just confirming that Kathy Bonham (kathyinmo) has barred and white rocks. Kathy has Stukel and GSBR's lines. Jeremy Woeppel (jwhip) has barred and white varieties too. Both breeders have nice birds...I can attest personally to the GSBR's from jwhip---excellent type, barring and temperament...good layers for me thus far too...egg quality is all good inside and out...a real plus for 'show quality' birds (-; I believe Jeremy got his original breeders from Danny Williamson (APA judge and district leader) in Kansas who works with Frank Reese at Good Shepherd. Jeremy's white rocks are Harrington line.

Also, I have an email into a gal in Northeast that has an alleged flock of purebred (non hatchery) Buff Rocks that she bought from an Amish breeder gal. I have seen one photo and they look to be decently typed etc....I will let you know what I find out. She sells hatching eggs from this pen. I would love to see this variety get worked on and perpetuated.

I will looking forward to the next issue of Rocks with all the info compiled (-;
Cindy in AZ

Jerry powell from oh is listed on the Ohio national breeders listing for several varieties of rocks but I do not know how to contact him. Have tried 2 emails that were not working.
Also would like to get hold of erik nelson too.

Yes, I am with you there Beth. I have a few Hatchery Barred Rock hens and I have never thought much of them other than they are great layers. I have no desire to get more.

But after looking at Kathy's...and for me it is always those Roo's, I am having a case of the "gimmies"

Nice Buckeyes Punky! I have a few heritage birds too, Mottled Java, Buckeyes, Delaware. This should be a great thread with some nice diversity.

Here are a few pics of my Buckeys. This breed sure grows on you. I don't know why I always thought that Buckeyes were an "indifferent" breed. They are always there right by my feet. I guess they just want to be first in line for the food! I am really enjoying them. I think the first roo is a better type but he is younger and I still need to see his tail grown out.

Chris09 I just saw your post. I think these Buckeyes are from your stock. They are from JamesA.
33539_dscn8507.jpg

33539_dscn8522.jpg

33539_dscn8495.jpg
I LOVE YOUR ROO!!! He's so handsome, I especially enjoy the kind, dignified expression on his face, its not cruel and scowling like so many roosters...Oh yeah, your hens not too hard on the eyes either :)

FYI for anyone in the area....VERY COOL!

Heritage Poultry Breeds Show

The Pacific Northwest Poultry Association will be co‐hostng a heritage breeds poultry show with Mother
Earth News on June 2‐3 in Puyallup, WA.

Show set up will likely be on Friday,June 1.

We are asking all PNPA members who would like to exhibit or volunteer at this event to block your calendars for that weekend.

This will be a great opportunity to show off good examples of heritage poultry
and to make people aware that the PNPA is a good source of information and
mentorship for those interested in promoting heritage poultry breeds.

http://www.pacificnorthwestpoultry.com/

Sure wished I lived closer!!!
thumbsup.gif

Go to http://www.pacificnorthwestpoultry.com/library.html

for these Interesting Archived Articles:

Free Range vs Organic_Nov 2010
Quality Birds_October 2011
Preparing For Youth Show_Dec 2011
Color Genetics_December 2011
Breeding The Blues_February 2012
Barred Plymouth Rock LF_March 2012
Heritage Breeds_March 2012
How Heritage Breeds Were Defined_March 2012
Large Fowl SC Rhode Island Reds_March 2012
Lice and Mites_October 2012
Looking Back & Looking Forward_December 2012

Repost with additional information.

<snip>

http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/Outing/Volume_44/outXLIV01/outXLIV01o.pdf
The RISE AND FALL OF POULTRY BOOMS By H. S. BABCOCK

<snip>

Searching for : Outing : gets a lot of wonderful poultry things in that magazine. Then you can just search for : poultry : and 65 pages of hits come up including breed specific articles on heritage breeds. Lots of ways to search this archive. Most of the pages of "poultry" hits are show results and ads. Searching by author for "Babcock" brings 5 nice articles on poultry by the noted poultry man. More "author" searches reveal 5 poultry articles by "Sando" and breed specific poultry articles by "Wheeler". including Rhode Island Red ; Wyandottes; "Plymmith Rocks"; Indian Runner Duck. Author "Rexford" brings up a series of 13 articles from 1907 thru 1909 on "Country home" living including caring for the poultry flock.
4 page article: "FOWLS FROM THE MEDITERRANEAN"
Good and Bad Qualities of Leghorns, Anconas, Black Spanish,
Minorcas, and Andalusians
By ARTHUR S. WHEELER
Hi Karen,

I went to the link provided and it brought up the study that was a couple pages long but I saw nowhere, a search box or anything like it.

Thanks for that additional information. I would really like to see this article. Can you help me get there?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom