Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
At what age do you worm? How do you follow the calendar?

Just curious what others do...
Babies are wormed with Wazine in the water at 2 and 4 weeks. Then babies are wormed with Safeguard and Valbazan alternating at 6,8,10, +12 weeks. I gave up running fecals on babies, as they are always positive, even with putting them on clean ground.Older birds are wormed after fecals generally 4 x a year. Gapeworm is very prevalent in the earthworms here, and my gang eats a bunch of them.

Question:

If a bird/hen has great type except for her size (small) would it be a bad idea to use her? Would I shrink my flock?

I have a quad consisting of 2 females and 2 males.

I was thinking I could stud mate each pair but the smaller female might cause me problems later?

Other option would be stud mate the nice size hen and rotate her between the 2 males and create 2 separate lines this way. (eliminating the small hen).

Would that work???

I experimented with a few of these de-worming methods years ago including some of the natural treatments until I was talking with an elderly neighbor who grew up on a farm. She said they never de-wormed chickens and never felt the need to do so. The thing I noticed about the garlic infused water is that my chickens would drink very little. When I replaced with fresh water they would flock to it because they were thirsty.

In a natural de-worming treatment, I’m not sure what good or bad bacteria may be killed or eliminated but as with antibiotics, which are designed to kill, they wipe out all beneficial gut floras. You will survive and over time regain a healthy balance, but it makes good sense to ingest some foods that can reinstate that balance in a matter of days for health. The problem is that most of the products in the grocery are imitations of what our Grand or Great Grandparents consumed. The pasteurization process heat treats and destroys the beneficial enzymes. Be it for yourself or for your chickens, you can fill a grocery cart with buttermilk, yogurt and sauerkraut and have a bunch of dead food.

The apple cider vinegar will only work if it is unfiltered and contains the Mother strain. Most yogurts are little more than a pudding product and even if you get a good one you may want to buy the plain variety because the kind with fruit has chemicals introduced that inhibit the fruit being consumed inside the container before purchase.

Question:

If a bird/hen has great type except for her size (small) would it be a bad idea to use her? Would I shrink my flock?
I'm not a pro, and I was told on another forum that using a small bird was foolish. But I am using one smaller size hen because she has the perfect tail & tail angle, plus the red ear lobes that I need in the rest of my Dorkings. I single mated this year, so I'll be able to tell how or whether it worked or not. I can always cull the offspring if I can't increase their size.

I raise standard orpingtons and am developing my own line and have had great results with a big hens. I have found in my breedings that when I use a smaller hen to a huge male most of my offspring ends up with the hens smaller frame. When I use a big hen or pullet to a medium sized male which is from stock bigger than himself I end up at size I was looking for. I hope this helps, check out the united Orpington clubs website and look at breeding and exhibiting tips link it explains this in more details. Sam

Quote: No need to be sorry, the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask.
wink.png

Best,
Karen

I'm not a pro, and I was told on another forum that using a small bird was foolish. But I am using one smaller size hen because she has the perfect tail & tail angle, plus the red ear lobes that I need in the rest of my Dorkings. I single mated this year, so I'll be able to tell how or whether it worked or not. I can always cull the offspring if I can't increase their size.

It all depends on what you need to work on. Many large fowl do have issues with being undersized, in this case it'd be a bad idea to use a smaller bird. If your birds are over the standard weight but lacking type, then a smaller bird with good type is the way to go. You want to avoid doubling up problems in breeding as it will only make it worse. I will say as someone who has spent time with breeds that tend to be on the small side it is a pain in the rear to try and get their size up.

Quote: Don't be sorry this is a educational site. We are all learning even if you been around a long time just part of life.

You can buy the filter and add it to the cheaper box but its labor intensive. I done it. It coast about four or five dollars more for them to do it.

Biggest problem I have is finding the roll of fiber to glue the fiber on the box. If you have time then go ahead in do it or if not this is a option.

Next we had a good run on the worming lesson many many pages and post.

I don't know what to do. My Mentor Mr. E W Reese of Ga said to me 25 years ago. Robert I DONT DOPE MY CHICKENS. Now he had a heard of Register Jersey Dairy Cattle maybe he did them I don't know. But he used the Fit of the Fittest Principle on all his large fowl and bantam Rhode Island Reds. So I have to.

Only the strong survive and are all-round in the breeding pens.

Many do the same. Some help the chicks out of the eggs and raise them and breed from them.

I will think about it. That's all I can do.

I guess if you take your stool samples to a Vet and there are no worms Mission Success what ever you do. bob

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom