Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm completely lost methinks, I didn't mean to offend anyone by saying I'm always going to favor the Russians o.o I think the suggestions you gave were great, and I googled them when I read about them. I *definitely* like the black breasted red old english game fowl but the reason I'm trying to stay away from game birds is because eventually I'd like to show them, and the APA says in order to show them you have to dub them (remove their wattles, their earlobes and combs) and honestly? I have no problem culling birds that aren't up to par...but maiming them on purpose for aesthetics, I have a big problem with. :''( I like them though, a great deal.

That's the only black breasted red wildtype I know of, so I thought you were referring to those. If you meant another kind of chicken I'd be excited to hear about it. :) Don't think your contributions aren't being read or considered because I happen to like your posts and I appreciate what you say.
Hi Clucky,
I'm not upset and not offended. That takes too much work, smile. Just haven't got anything more to suggest. There are other breeds that have wildtype varieties. Just have to research them. I just have nothing more original to suggest.
I hope you find the breed you want and have great success with them.
Regards,
Karen
Here's a nice example of BBR in a breed that doesn't need dubbed.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/324468/6-black-breasted-red-rosecomb-eggs-quality-stock
and here in Cubalaya:
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Games/Cuba/BRKCuba.html
Malay, Shamo, Aseel and Cubalaya all come in BBR.

Last edited:
Ok, it turns out that I do have a question to ask. I went and read most of that book (forgot who posted it) by W. H. Card about the breeding Laws (this one: http://archive.org/stream/cu31924003158312#page/n1/mode/2up), and found an odd thing I've come across a few times.
Two of the breeds on my "potential breed" list are solid black birds: Spanish and Sumatras. So I read the section about breeding black birds and he kept saying that purple iridescence on a black bird, as opposed to green, is bad bad bad.
Why is that?
Is it an outward sign of an internal problem, or is it something that was decided on by some committee way back when? If it denotes an underlying issue, then I can totally understand why breeders would select away from it. If not, then
idunno.gif
I did just a tiny big of research and all I could find was the purple is the mahogany gene. I didn't do any further research, because I knew from other readings for my breeds you don't want to breed mahogany genes forward.

Anybody else have anything to add? or was the info I read way off the mark?

Hi Clucky,
I'm not upset and not offended. That takes too much work, smile. Just haven't got anything more to suggest.
I hope you find the breed you want and have great success with them.
Regards,
Karen

Was it the black breasted red old english game fowl that you were referring to though? If there's a heritage chicken with similar coloring as those, but isn't the game fowl, I'd be very interested. :) It's a shame these games have to be dubbed. I mean I know why (it's not a discussion allowed at BYC) but since that thing doesn't take place anymore - why keep maiming the chickens just to take them to a poultry show? If that one little thing weren't in my way I would probably have a flock full of game birds.
roll.png

Last edited:
I did just a tiny big of research and all I could find was the purple is the mahogany gene. I didn't do any further research, because I knew from other readings for my breeds you don't want to breed mahogany genes forward.

Anybody else have anything to add? or was the info I read way off the mark?

Is this for any breed or a certain breed? I mean, I only ask because I thought mahogany was a desired color in certain breeds? I know there is a mahogany orloff...and I thought a Buckeye's coloring was called mahogany too?

[Edited to add] Completely off topic from the purple feather, but I wanted to know if the Partridge Chantecler is a heritage breed? I see white is another variety but I'm not fond of completely white chickens. The white one was recognized in 1921, and the partridge was 1935 so according to dates... should be a heritage breed right?

Last edited:
Is this for any breed or a certain breed? I mean, I only ask because I thought mahogany was a desired color in certain breeds? I know there is a mahogany orloff...and I thought a Buckeye's coloring was called mahogany too?

[Edited to add] Completely off topic from the purple feather, but I wanted to know if the Partridge Chantecler is a heritage breed? I see white is another variety but I'm not fond of completely white chickens. The white one was recognized in 1921, and the partridge was 1935 so according to dates... should be a heritage breed right? Yes.

Was it the black breasted red old english game fowl that you were referring to though? If there's a heritage chicken with similar coloring as those, but isn't the game fowl, I'd be very interested. :) It's a shame these games have to be dubbed. I mean I know why (it's not a discussion allowed at BYC) but since that thing doesn't take place anymore - why keep maiming the chickens just to take them to a poultry show? If that one little thing weren't in my way I would probably have a flock full of game birds.
roll.png
See my reply in post 7681.

Last edited:
Dear Heritage Large Fowl enthusiasts,
I want to raise Dorkings, but have not decided whether I should go with the rose-combed White Dorking, or the single-combed Silver Grey Dorking.

(Obviously,) the White is the solid-colored, easier-for-newbies-to-breed version, with the added benefit of a rose comb to minimize winter frostbite. The Silver Gray offers the silver duckwing patterned hen, which I find most attractive; but the OEG page I read on breeding the silver duckwing pattern sounded difficult to do properly, and most of the photos I see of SG hens feature a dark, rust breast rather than a light "salmon" breast.

In your experience and opinion, which variety is most available in a reasonable quality bird?

For what it's worth, I am planning to build my dream chicken house this summer,(
yesss.gif
) so could populate it next autumn with a pair or trio of my chosen chickens.

Thank you for your assistance,
Angela

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom