Bobbing head, loss of balance

Savagesierra

In the Brooder
May 23, 2023
Hello, I am a first time chicken owner and new to the forum! I’ve owned my chickens for about 3 years now and so far, I’ve been able to successfully hatch 12 babies! All seem healthy, with two exceptions. I had a rooster (approximately 10 months old) that I had to cull about two months ago. I now have a hen who is showing the same symptoms as my rooster did, and I’m wondering if anyone knows what could be wrong. I’ve separated her in case of contagions and have added nutridrench to her water. I noticed the issue today, she is losing balance and bobbing her head. Not wanting to eat or drink. Please help!!

Hello, I am a first time chicken owner and new to the forum! I’ve owned my chickens for about 3 years now and so far, I’ve been able to successfully hatch 12 babies! All seem healthy, with two exceptions. I had a rooster (approximately 10 months old) that I had to cull about two months ago. I now have a hen who is showing the same symptoms as my rooster did, and I’m wondering if anyone knows what could be wrong. I’ve separated her in case of contagions and have added nutridrench to her water. I noticed the issue today, she is losing balance and bobbing her head. Not wanting to eat or drink. Please help!!

It looks like it's having seizures maybe...,that kinda looks like how my chick was when it was dying.
how cold is it outside? where are you? I'm thinking cold shock or maybe it got sick.

Last edited:
Hi, thank you for replying! I am in South Carolina. It is 80-90 degrees F right now (and for the past two months). She has stopped going up to the coop and is staying on the ground, due to loss of balance. I got her 3 years ago and was told she was about a year old? Not sure how true that is, and prob not vaccinated- I’ve called everywhere within a 100mi radius, and not one vet will see chickens or provide vaccines for them, so I have no option of veterinary help :( she’s never laid an egg since I’ve had her, she serves as my female “coop security” she heavily protects my broody hens. So maybe a head injury from protecting? I do have problems with squirrels digging under and entering my coop.

Hi, thank you for replying! I am in South Carolina. It is 80-90 degrees F right now (and for the past two months). She has stopped going up to the coop and is staying on the ground, due to loss of balance. I got her 3 years ago and was told she was about a year old? Not sure how true that is, and prob not vaccinated- I’ve called everywhere within a 100mi radius, and not one vet will see chickens or provide vaccines for them, so I have no option of veterinary help :( she’s never laid an egg since I’ve had her, she serves as my female “coop security” she heavily protects my broody hens. So maybe a head injury from protecting? I do have problems with squirrels digging under and entering my coop.
Poor little lady! sad she stopped going up in the coop 😥 yes it could be a head or brain injury or maybe she ate something poisonous. are the rest of the chickens doing fine? What breed is she?
if you got her 3 years ago then she prob about 3 years old, did you get her as a chick??

Poor little lady! sad she stopped going up in the coop 😥 yes it could be a head or brain injury or maybe she ate something poisonous. are the rest of the chickens doing fine? What breed is she?
if you got her 3 years ago then she prob about 3 years old, did you get her as a chick??
I was told 3 years ago she was a year old. So she ‘should’ be about 4. Nothing poisonous inside the coop, unless a diseased bird or squirrel has infected their water. But no other bird, including my 8 (10 week old) chicks seem to be sick. She is a satin silkie.

I was told 3 years ago she was a year old. So she ‘should’ be about 4. Nothing poisonous inside the coop, unless a diseased bird or squirrel has infected their water. But no other bird, including my 8 (10 week old) chicks seem to be sick. She is a satin silkie.

maybe the squirrels attacked it or yeah maybe infected there water, did you put fresh water out there for them? maybe you should just in-cause it is infected. 🥰

it might just be dying 🤷‍♀️. I pray it lives!

how is she looking right now? still doing the same thing? is she drinking or eating?

maybe the squirrels attacked it or yeah maybe infected there water, did you put fresh water out there for them? maybe you should just in-cause it is infected. 🥰

it might just be dying 🤷‍♀️. I pray it lives!

how is she looking right now? still doing the same thing? is she drinking or eating?
I have cleaned top and bottom of coop, all new hay and fresh water. Heading home from work now to check her condition.

You might consider quarantine. That way no one picks on her as they notice she is compromised. What does her poop look like? Is she eating/drinking on her own?
Eating on her own but not drinking on her own. Quarantined as soon as I noticed her condition this morning. I have 15 chickens so haven’t been able to catch her pooping. I will check her quarantine pin as soon as I get home in about 20 minutes

Back
Top Bottom