Bobby's chicks! We did it!!

OkamiWolfee

Chirping
Feb 6, 2022
Hello everyone, I don't know if you will remember me but I posted a thread about me trying to hatch some chicken eggs for the first time for my friends little boy who is terminally ill, well, those eggs didn't hatch unfortunately, and it turns out the incubator temp was not totally accurate, it was around 3-4 degrees off what it said, so I tried again (per Bobby's request), and this time used a food thermometer to accurately test the temp, added a low wattage red bulb over the incubator to boost the temp and it came to a perfect 39 degrees.

Anyway, yesterday (day 19) I was surprised with an early arrival! Little Darwin (Bobby's name choice) hatched and he's completely fluffed up and chirping away happily, and resting. I've been told to leave him in the incubator until the rest hatch (or 2-3 days) before taking him out and into the brooder, which I have done, but I'm just a bit worried now as the 2 remaining eggs haven't pipped yet... It is day 21 tomorrow, just wondering is it common to have an early hatcher and the rest on time? Is there anything I could do? The humidity is between 60-70% at all times since lockdown (day 18), temp is 39 degrees, everything is fine with the equipment.

Just hoping another one hatches so Darwin isn't on his own in the brooder! Either way, the brooder is indoor in the same room as the incubator, so he will have me as a companion until he's big enough to go live on the farm with his chicken family, but I would be gutted if the other 2 didn't hatch like last time.

Attached a photo of Darwin, a little silkie cutie. I'm a bit obsessed with him and can't wait to get him out for snuggles. I was naughty and got him out when I found him because I was so shocked and he was already puffed up and dry, but was then told it's better to leave him in and not open the incubator until the rest hatch (my mistake as it's my first time, so I have been leaving the incubator alone since yesterday). I found him hatched and about 95% dry at around midnight last night. Any further advice would be amazing!

I'm so happy it's worked, and Bobby is over the moon <3

*** Temps I mentioned are in Celsius ***

Attachments

• 274459883_332259808700208_2901768942320102456_n.jpg
    274459883_332259808700208_2901768942320102456_n.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
not totally accurate, it was around 3-4 degrees off what it said, so I tried again (per Bobby'
I have also opted for a heat matt for the brooder, as it's cardboard and I figured it would be safer than a bulb. I've covered it with some of that netting/matting in the incubator and some shavings all ready for the chickies to enjoy! Got the waterer ready and some chick crumb on a plastic lid for them to enjoy.

Wow 39 degrees? It could be that they're slower because of the lower temp? I know some people hatch at lower temp. Temp range is usually 45 to 55.
I mean Celsius, not Fahrenheit - so it's about 100-102F, I was told this was the temp to use, and Darwin hatched 2 days early... Am I doing it wrong? 😩

Temp is fine..no worries.. I do 99.5. but my incubator is set that way.lol
Thank god haha - thank you though!! Is it normal for one to be early and the rest on time? Just worried I haven't seen any pips from the remaining 2 yet, but today is only day 20.

Back
Top Bottom