bobcat ripped silkie's leg off through the fence

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by TinyBirds, Feb 26, 2011.

1. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    We have a bobcat that's killing most of what we have, and we're down from 300 to 150 birds. It is a DAYTIME predator. We've never had problems at night because all of our birds are in super-secure-wood-coops.

So, today at 11:30 am, the bobcat attacked again, going right through the outer electric fence (3 wires starting at 4" off the ground) and tried to get my prize-buff-silkie-girl through the metal fence that has approx 2"x4" openings (5 ft high and covered pen). He ripped/tore her leg off at the knee joint, so now she just has a hole in her skin where the leg used to be. I never found the leg. I stitched up the opening in her body with needle and thread, and she is still drinking water occasionally if I hold her up. She has no interest in eating yet, and at this point I'm just hoping she doesn't die from too much blood loss from her knee inside. I tried to look/feel inside the opening, and didn't notice any tear into the intestines (hopefully). If someone has any care instructions for this type of situation, I would love to have some advice on how I can try to keep her alive. I love her! My husband said he guesses she won't be a show bird now, but I said maybe she can still qualify for the special olympics if we can get her up and hopping around again (note: sometimes joking around is the only way we can handle these devastating type of situations - it's so sad!) Is there any pain type of medicine I can give her in the water? I assume I should start her on some type of antibiotics as well, maybe tomorrow.
    Thanks so much,
    Jenny

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think you could flush it out with saline solution and then apply neosporine (without any 'caine" ) ingredient. Don't use peroxide it burns healthy tissue. If you can't take her to a vet, you could try stitching her up. Some of the posters do that themselves. I think when a bird is kinda shocky like this they don't feel the pain. I think aspirin is the only thing safe to give chickens and I have no idea of the dosage. I hope someone will come on board and give you more specific info. Watch for swelling around the area which would indicate infection.

3. DinosRBirds

DinosRBirds Hunted by Moonlight

Feb 1, 2011
    Lake Huron,MI
    Put a pegleg on her.[​IMG][​IMG]

4. TinyBirds

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    Love the DinosRBirds name! I'm always telling people that. Sometimes I have dreams that hawks are getting bigger and they turn into huge hawks that attack people as prey. I love all Michael Crichton books too. His are the only fiction books I read.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    This bobcat has killed 150 chickens and it's still alive? Or am I mis reading something?

6. TinyBirds

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:A lot were lost to hawks also before we put up the overhead netting. But we also have foxes and other daytime predators coming. We live next to a year-round creek and a wildlife preserve. The other farms nearby call the wildlife preserve the "predator breeding ground" so I doubt we'd be improving things much by killing 1 or 2 of them, even if we could. They are super-fast in their attack, too fast for me to shoot them. Plus we're not allowed to shoot hawks. The hawks hunt in groups here, often taking more than 1 bird per day. Our neighbor saw 5 hawks together as a team lift her huge turkey into the sky. They dropped it after awhile, but STILL!! Yes, it's Jurassic Park here. I know a dog would help, but my husband doesn't want a dog (kids would turn it into a pet, if it didn't get eaten by a predator itself before that).

7. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    OMG, hope your silkie gets better, as for the bobcat, trap it or SSS it

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have read that chickens can learn to hop around on one foot ok.

Someone wrote here on BYC an aspirin dosage- but you would have to do a BYC search for it. That's the only pain med I know of for chickens.

I hope she does ok!

9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    When you stitched her up did you leave a small place on the lowest part unstitched? If not, cut those stitches and leave a tiny open place so any infection can drain.

Also, do a search for the dosage of aspirin and penicillin. Make sure she is eating and drinking. Keep her warm and quiet. I would call an avian vet myself and if they could not see her, maybe some advice would be given.

Good Luck with your girl.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  10. SLWyandotte

SLWyandotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Chatom, Alabama
    for the -cat and other grounded critters live and steel traps work well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by