bobcat show down." KILLED.HIM ...". pic ~!!!!~

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by lacyloo, Oct 17, 2007.

1. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    :thun omg... Just got back from church right.Go to lock the ducks up and hear racket in the chickens pen. Soo i ran and got my broher (16) and he grabbed a long metal pole and we ran to the pen which has a wire roof on it and I thought it was secure . But by the time we realised omg it waz a freakin huge bobcat !!!! .The bobcat jumped on top of the chickens house trying to escape my bro knoked him in the head with the pole 2 but he inded up escaping under the chickens wire.My dad grabbed the shotgun but it waz too late . But he will be back tommarow waiting gun in tow. The bobcat has already killed 8 chickens. is there anyway that we can kill him???
    thanks, broken hearted,depressed,ticked off, florida gurl
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SEE PAGE 2 FOR END RESULT [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2007
  2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Your Father has it right, shotgun with #4 buckshot. Or your could trap it. A friend here has killed three this year. She had never killed anything until the bobcats got her chickens. She like you are at bobcat WAR.:thun

3. Zenbirder

Zenbirder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    New Mexico
    I am also having a problem with a bobcat. I am now working with Game & Fish. They brought me a large live trap and will relocate the cat to a more remote area if I can catch it. I suggest you check with the authorities about laws and help.

4. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    We saw a huge bobcat dart across the road the other day when we were leaving our property. I sure did not realize they could grow that big, but of course, everything is bigger in Texas. [​IMG]

5. Mountain Man Jim

Mountain Man Jim Chillin' With My Peeps

I feel your pain!! Foxes are the usual problem for me, but bobcats ... Wow they're relentless. I rely on a couple of dogs to guard the chickens. Last winter the fences were buried, so the dogs couldn’t be out unsupervised. A bobcat took advantage of this and almost wiped us out.

I’m used to the foxes, who have a particular time of day when they come around (fox hour). The foxes don’t visit our home everyday; they seem to drop in, take a bird if they can and stay away for week.

The bobcat, oh no! The bobcat kept coming back, even after I shot it couple of times with a BB gun. The cat just couldn’t get it through its thick head that this territory was off limits. Our little sage ended when I was able to keep the dogs outside. The dogs treed the cat. With the dogs sniffing around the tree, I repeatedly shot the cat with the BB gun (on low power). It got away by jumping on the roof and has never been back since.

Jim

6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i can't believe your brother was out whacking a bobcat on the head with a pole. i would be running in the opposite direction! Weren't you worried the bobcat would go after you? Of course, i run screaming from little things like flying beetles and grasshoppers.

7. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    As far as I know Bobcats are not on the endangered list as there are bountys on them as coyotes...not much for their hides but better than losing chickens....

8. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    Unless its a protected species I think the law is pretty lenient when it comes to protecting your livestock. When I lived in the Pacific Northwest the law was "any animal in the act of depredation" was fair game.

9. billyroo

billyroo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2007
    I'm new...but wait a min.
    fur prices have taken off the last several years.

Not that I'd let them in the coop but if you do get him/her do not the fur go to waste. Same with the other critters
    coon, mink, fox to name a few. A quick search turn up the prices for last year. (500$ top price listed)

check your game laws and find a local fur buyer.

1 dead pest can equal a couple of more chickens or in this case a coop.

Billyroo

http://www.kanoklafurco.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=36&Itemid=55

Bobcat Prices

Top Prices
    Carcass
    (Unskinned)
    Top Prices
    Skinned
    Top Prices
    Select Finished
    Average Paid

Northwest 450
    400-500
    250-350

West 300
    250-400
    150-300

Central 200
    150-275
    50-150

Southern 50
    50-100
    35-75

10. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    sorry all the comp has been down a few days but im back.
    yea i was kinda scared but i was so scared for my chickens it dint matter what happened to me lol
    yea i'v been asking around school for someone with a large animal trap to catch him.
    if i do mange to catch him i will take him to the taxadirmist (sp).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by