Bobcat wipes out my entire flock in 2 hours

My complete condolences. I just lost over half my flock to a young bobcat, who breached all my security measures, early this morning. It was like a slaughterhouse inside the coop, with dead birds strewn everywhere. I was fortunate that several escaped outside and survived. Among the surviving was my rooster. My husband and I are having a debate. Husband says he "led them to safety", I say, "he cut and run." Reading your story, maybe he did save some by getting them out of the coop.

Long story.. but I was away on vacation for 3 weeks and had someone chicken-sit for me. One of the doors in the rear of the coop was some how opened by the chickens (probably one of the chickens fell off a perch and in trying to hang on put pressure on the door and popped the latch and opened the door). The door remained wide open for 3 days/nights as the chicken sitter didn't notice. It's like leaving your front door wide open in Oakland, CA. Something bad is guaranteed to happen. I am surprised how smart this bobcat is in coming back and again and again to finish each and every one of them. All the chickens were left in one neat pile.

When I returned 3 days after this happened I noticed some noises coming outside my bedroom window at 3am. I turned on my flashlight and I could see the bobcat eating one of the hens (at very end of video). My chickensitter had already told me about my chickens being wiped out so it didn't come as a complete surprise.

Very sad as some of the hens have been with me for 8 years.

I hope you at least got a Bobcat hat out of the deal! My Mossberg would be all over that over grown putty cat!

I hope you at least got a Bobcat hat out of the deal! My Mossberg would be all over that over grown putty cat!

LoL if you go to the end you can see this cat was literally 10 feet away from my bedroom window chilling out on a tree after having eaten one of my birds. I live in a residential area where the wilderness meets the city. If I discharged a shotgun I'd have my bay area neighbors calling the SWAT team on me. And the Game warden will not issue a trap permit. I'm going to have to be discreet and call my uncle Vinny to make some nice concrete shoes for this cat.

Bobcat122713.JPG Bobcat12273.JPG Bobcat returned last night! This time left bitterly disappointed as the remaining hens have realized just how dangerous sleeping under the stars can be! Unable to set date & time on camera!

My complete condolences. I just lost over half my flock to a young bobcat, who breached all my security measures, early this morning. It was like a slaughterhouse inside the coop, with dead birds strewn everywhere. I was fortunate that several escaped outside and survived. Among the surviving was my rooster. My husband and I are having a debate. Husband says he "led them to safety", I say, "he cut and run." Reading your story, maybe he did save some by getting them out of the coop.

Sorry for your loss! We seem to be having a Bobcat epidemic here in California. Wildlife forced to relocate cause of the fires, perhaps?

That's a healthy looking well fed bobcat. I'm really sorry this happened to you and your chickens. I couldn't watch the whole thing but it's cool you caught it in camera. We've seen a bobcat inspecting our coop. I've also seen an owl eyeing my pullets. I'm sure predators visit regularly to check for open doors or stragglers roosting in trees.

Put a pop door on your coop and lock them in every night after about 3 or 4 nights they will beat you inside. Keep the coop your most secure spot then a small run very secure. Larger runs or free range when your there to watch/garud.

That's pretty much the set up I have. The coop & small run are pretty bomb proof. No door on the coop but nothing is getting in the small run once closed! The problem was, although raised in the coop from day 1, they refused to sleep in it from the age of 10 to 12 weeks. I got tired of chasing them! The remaining 3 are much more receptive now, I only had to chase them in once

My Sussex don't have a roost. sleep on the ground .very happy just to snuggle in. maybe after this , they feel safer snuggling together on the ground. I wouldn't worry about it.
Karen

I was concerned that the trauma might have left them a bit mentally irregular. Unfortunately my healthcare plan won't cover Poultry Psychiatrists, so they're just gonna have to honker down on the floor if they have a mind to! ;o)

Back
Top Bottom