1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bobcat

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by unicornwy, Nov 6, 2010.

1. unicornwy

unicornwy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2010
    Okay...so we finally caught and eliminated our coon days before going on vacation.

Three days into vacation the lady watching our animals for us calls me and tells me that there is a baby bobcat pestering the ducks. GRRR!!! She got rid of the baby (I'm guessing about 10-12 weeks old baby). Then on friday night something tore the wire on the duck pen to bits. The wire is similar to chicken wire but with slightly larger holes. Is this the mother bobcat?? How likely is it that the mom is close by? How do I bobcat proof my pen? Do they typically go over or under cages? How many babies are there likely to be around?

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    My answer is the bobcats know where dinners at . Its just a matter of when will they attack. I hope your coops solid. I would of gotten a trap yesterday. Anyway get a trap .

3. chickanddoglvr

chickanddoglvr Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2010
    Cincinnati Oh
    You can try and put up chain link fence instead of chicken wire, that should hold up better. Also ELECTRIC WIRE does wonders!!![​IMG]

4. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Oh if that little one is that old mom is still near by. It takes several months before the little ones hunt on their own after having been taught by momma.

Lots of luck, beef up the fencing, get some hot wire going, get a trap, and spend some quality time with a firearm. There is likely more than just momma still around.

5. andythescot

andythescot Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    Central Mass
    Quote:The problem with the chain link fence though is that the bobcat can reach its paws in, and snack a duck by the eye (it happens ][​IMG] OR the ducks can poke their heads out and be taken by surprise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by