Bobwhite Quail Chicks Bleeding From Nostrils

One more thing I had forgotten about.
I had a chick hatch with splay leg, and I put bandaids around his legs to keep them together. I didn't have another empty brooder so I took a piece of hardware cloth, folded it into a dome shape, and put him inside of it in the brooder with his own food and water, so the others didn't trample him. It didn't have any sharp edges and I didn't see any chicks peck at it. I've done this before with no issues. After 3 days he was all better, and I let him out. I took the wire out too.
Several of the chicks had the bloody nostrils before I ever put any wire in though.

Also, I just had another chick die this morning.

If you’re giving them BOTH poultry cell and nutri drench, I almost wonder about an overdose maybe? I don’t know if that would cause bleeding but I do not think that I would be giving both.

If you’re giving them BOTH poultry cell and nutri drench, I almost wonder about an overdose maybe? I don’t know if that would cause bleeding but I do not think that I would be giving both.
I gave just nutridrench for the first day or two, then plain water for a few days, then started some poultry cell.
They have plain water atm.

Vitamin K2is available at Walmart. It comes in soft gels. You could pick some up next time you head out to a grocery store or pharmacy.

Vitamin K is not included in most poultry vitamins and isn't in Nutri-drench. A vitamin K deficiency would cause bleeding at the slightest injury, and often internal injuries are what are most deadly.

This bleeding you are seeing is spread out over several chicks, so I would suspect a deficiency in the quail embryos that a quail hen produced who may have harbored the deficiency herself. This is how it occurs in newly hatched chicks.

I would squeeze the contents of the gel caps onto the feed the babies eat. I would do this for only a couple weeks to avoid too much accumulating in their systems.

Vitamin K2is available at Walmart. It comes in soft gels. You could pick some up next time you head out to a grocery store or pharmacy.

Vitamin K is not included in most poultry vitamins and isn't in Nutri-drench. A vitamin K deficiency would cause bleeding at the slightest injury, and often internal injuries are what are most deadly.

This bleeding you are seeing is spread out over several chicks, so I would suspect a deficiency in the quail embryos that a quail hen produced who may have harbored the deficiency herself. This is how it occurs in newly hatched chicks.

I would squeeze the contents of the gel caps onto the feed the babies eat. I would do this for only a couple weeks to avoid too much accumulating in their systems.
I will do that, thank you.
I'm thinking about doing a test hatch, at least 2 eggs from each hen that I have, and seeing if I can tell which hen(s) is having the issue.
I just lost another chick. :(
Is there anything else I can do until I get the vitamin K?

I also thought I should mention this, because I was very confused by it.
One of the chicks that died the day before yesterday had a dislocated leg. I don't even understand how that would have happened. I was gone for an hour, and when I came back he was dead. When I picked him up and discovered the leg issue I was shocked. I don't know how that ever would have happened. There's nothing in the brooder he could have gotten hurt on, no one other than myself touches them (that was made very clear when I started raising birds), and I highly doubt that the other chicks could have done it.
There were also no other visible injuries.

Back
Top Bottom