Bobwhite Quail Chicks Bleeding From Nostrils

The beak looks deteriorated on top almost.
I'll get a pic of the dead chick's beak.

You may be looking at a syndrome, a collection of symptoms that, taken in total, point to a common cause, genetics perhaps, or a pathogen. The dislocated leg in the dead chick may be one symptom of genetics gone wrong. Of course, this is all pretty much guess work. You need to have a necropsy done on a dead chick with pathology testing done on top of dissecting tissues to look for abnormalities if you want some real answers.

Without these answers, you're just blindly hoping to stumble onto something. Meanwhile, more chicks may die, and as time goes on, not knowing why will take a mental toll.

You may be looking at a syndrome, a collection of symptoms that, taken in total, point to a common cause, genetics perhaps, or a pathogen. The dislocated leg in the dead chick may be one symptom of genetics gone wrong. Of course, this is all pretty much guess work. You need to have a necropsy done on a dead chick with pathology testing done on top of dissecting tissues to look for abnormalities if you want some real answers.

Without these answers, you're just blindly hoping to stumble onto something. Meanwhile, more chicks may die, and as time goes on, not knowing why will take a mental toll.
That makes sense.
Do you think it's an actual contagious illness? Would it be unsafe to still take them to my friend?
I don't know if I can get a necropsy done or not. I mentioned it to my parents and they didn't seem like they'd ever let me do it.

Would it be of any use to put VetRX under their wings?

If you are dealing with a pathogen, it may be contagious. We can't know, though, because we don't know what bacteria or virus might be present in these quail without lab tests and inspecting tissue samples under magnification. Science is a big help to us ordinary people who don't happen to keep a microscope and tissue slides in our back pockets, not to mention the training to use them.

We pay these scientists to use their training and equipment to give us answers to questions that are way beyond our expertise to figure out on our own. I was in this predicament several months ago when I was losing chicks. Everything I was doing only produced short term effect, and I finally got fed up with the guessing. I reached the point where it was finally worth it to me to spend the $200 for lab tests to get answers. The answers I got didn't make a difference in preventing more chicks getting sick, but at least now I know why it's happening.

This is something you need to sit down and discuss with your parents. How much is it worth to all of you to get answers to why this awful thing is happening to these quail babies?

Vetrx can't hurt. It may or may not help, but you never know until you try it.

Yes, that is one possibility that had occurred to me. It's a virus passed from hen to chicks. That's another reason to have a necropsy to find out if this is something the entire bunch is carrying. If it is in this little flock, it will be passed on to any new birds. It's important to know what you're dealing with.

Could it be Infectious Laryngotracheitis?
ILT is a respiratory illness most affecting chickens and pheasants. Possibly be transmitted to quail...(?) It's also transmitted through the respiratory route - contact. Doesn't cause outright bleeding but birds can cough up blood tinged "exudes" (mucous?) I would assume because of all the coughing/gasping, etc.
@MGG is there any coughing, sneezing, gasping...? Don't remember seeing you mention that?

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/ps044

Place a cam and record the brooder activities. Only you should know about the camera recording - no one else.

If you are dealing with a pathogen, it may be contagious. We can't know, though, because we don't know what bacteria or virus might be present in these quail without lab tests and inspecting tissue samples under magnification. Science is a big help to us ordinary people who don't happen to keep a microscope and tissue slides in our back pockets, not to mention the training to use them.

We pay these scientists to use their training and equipment to give us answers to questions that are way beyond our expertise to figure out on our own. I was in this predicament several months ago when I was losing chicks. Everything I was doing only produced short term effect, and I finally got fed up with the guessing. I reached the point where it was finally worth it to me to spend the $200 for lab tests to get answers. The answers I got didn't make a difference in preventing more chicks getting sick, but at least now I know why it's happening.

This is something you need to sit down and discuss with your parents. How much is it worth to all of you to get answers to why this awful thing is happening to these quail babies?

Vetrx can't hurt. It may or may not help, but you never know until you try it.
I totally get what you're saying. I'll talk to them.
I had one that has the bloody nostrils getting picked on some last night.
It made things worse. I separated him and gave sugar water though and he seems to have bounced back.
Hopefully he can recover. I haven't had any more die since yesterday.
ILT is a respiratory illness most affecting chickens and pheasants. Possibly be transmitted to quail...(?) It's also transmitted through the respiratory route - contact. Doesn't cause outright bleeding but birds can cough up blood tinged "exudes" (mucous?) I would assume because of all the coughing/gasping, etc.
@MGG is there any coughing, sneezing, gasping...? Don't remember seeing you mention that?

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/ps044

Place a cam and record the brooder activities. Only you should know about the camera recording - no one else.
There has not been any of that. They're eating and drinking pretty well too.
I can do that, I have a wyze cam somewhere. I'll look for it and set it up.

I'm also going to town today so I'll get the vitamin K.
Anything else I should get?

Back
Top Bottom