Bobwhite Quail Wings

CConley

Hatching
May 25, 2018
Hey all - we are new to the site. We have 17 3-week old Bobwhites that have discovered that their new wings allow them to gain distance (sigh). My question is, when is it too early to start clipping wings❓Can I clip them now or should I wait❓Also, I have only learned how to do this on YouTube, so if anybody has any suggestions, we would be most grateful.

Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris. Your bobs are still very young and won't have adult feathers yet until they are nearly 3 months old. They will molt several more times yet. So wait on clipping for a couple months.

When you do trim wings, leave enough length so that when they molt again this fall or next spring, the cut feathers will protect growing blood feathers. If the cut is too deep, exposed growing feathers will bleed.

Hi Chris. Your bobs are still very young and won't have adult feathers yet until they are nearly 3 months old. They will molt several more times yet. So wait on clipping for a couple months.

When you do trim wings, leave enough length so that when they molt again this fall or next spring, the cut feathers will protect growing blood feathers. If the cut is too deep, exposed growing feathers will bleed.

Thank you - That helps a lot. There is much to learn, but I feel we have landed in the right place.

Back
Top Bottom