Bobwhite Sexing

Galina121

Songster
6 Years
May 20, 2016
Chunky, MS
3228531A-773A-4269-99C0-B7455831BCDA.jpeg
Im new to quail. These are the ones I hatched out about 3/21. I know blue circle is male & red circles are hens, but I have 2 that are like green circle. I just can’t decern what green circle is. I’m gonna cull if male so I don’t have such a hard time distinguishing future offspring. Thanks

View attachment 1449465 Im new to quail. These are the ones I hatched out about 3/21. I know blue circle is male & red circles are hens, but I have 2 that are like green circle. I just can’t decern what green circle is. I’m gonna cull if male so I don’t have such a hard time distinguishing future offspring. Thanks
The green circle in question is absolutely a male the white face is a give away

How many females and males do you have? If you don't want to cull them, I'd wait and see what their behavior is. Unlike the coturnix, bobwhites are monogamous, meaning they'll only have one mate during the breeding season. As long as you have an equal mix of both females and males or more females than males, you should be fine, provided you have enough space for each pair to have their own area and not be bothered. I've honestly only read other suggestions, and they all vary from a 1:1 female:male ratio to a 3:1 ratio. I'd just wait and see, if you notice aggressive behavior you should then probably cull him.

How many females and males do you have? If you don't want to cull them, I'd wait and see what their behavior is. Unlike the coturnix, bobwhites are monogamous, meaning they'll only have one mate during the breeding season. As long as you have an equal mix of both females and males or more females than males, you should be fine, provided you have enough space for each pair to have their own area and not be bothered. I've honestly only read other suggestions, and they all vary from a 1:1 female:male ratio to a 3:1 ratio. I'd just wait and see, if you notice aggressive behavior you should then probably cull him.
AAaaand I realized this is a late reply.

Back
Top Bottom