Bonding With Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lifeiseasy, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Lifeiseasy

Lifeiseasy Songster

Jun 13, 2017
    Central Virginia
    Thanks. I don't try to push them too much and only hold them for a couple of minutes. It's just, if they don't trust or like me then we can't let them free range in the yard because we wouldn't be able to get them back into their coop. I also know Cayugas aren't known to be "lap ducks" but we have a chestnut tree in our yard so I have to be able to check their feet for injuries without them flipping out.

biophiliac likes this.
  2. gal5150

gal5150 Songster

Mar 30, 2016
    California
    I would definitely keep up with the light handling. It's so important for when you need to do wellness checks. Consistency. Persistence. They WILL learn that it's an annoyance but not a threat even if they don't become lap ducks. They just need to habituated to the process. You're doing great!!!

biophiliac likes this.
  3. biophiliac

biophiliac Traveler in BYCLand

Apr 22, 2016
    DeForest, WI
    Good job! Just a couple of minutes is perfect! Sometimes its 2 steps forward and 1 step back. One they get that capture is not 'the end' :lol:, they can be calmer around you generally.

X2, Very good advice Gal5150

4. Lifeiseasy

Lifeiseasy Songster

Jun 13, 2017
    Central Virginia
    Thank you for your support and advice! I'm definitely going to keep trying. Sadly I haven't been able to handle them for the past two days due to very nasty weather and family celebrations. The weather actually isn't supposed to get better any time soon :sick but as soon as it does I will stay out there with them longer and hold them.

5. Lifeiseasy

Lifeiseasy Songster

Jun 13, 2017
    Central Virginia
    The ducks have gotten a lot better. They still run away from me when I go to pick them up but the two friendlier ones will at least come back for treats. Even the goose is letting me pick her up more :wee:ya

biophiliac likes this.
  6. gal5150

gal5150 Songster

Mar 30, 2016
    California
    Woohooo! And that all has happened pretty quickly! You are becoming a real water fowl whisperer!

biophiliac likes this.
  7. Kiki to Nana

Kiki to Nana Songster

Aug 1, 2016
    Fowlerville, Michigan
    Get used to it lol. I feel like the older they get the more they think that they don't really need you and just run every chance lol.

8. Lifeiseasy

Lifeiseasy Songster

Jun 13, 2017
    Central Virginia
    I'm glad it hasn't taken too long for them to not freak out whenever I pick them up. One of them almost fell asleep in my arms the other day until another one quacked rather loudly :lau. Two of them will also come up to me if I sit and put my hand out. It doesn't matter if I have food or not. :celebrate

gal5150 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: