Bone protruding in neck?

MercyMe03

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 2, 2013
Pensacola, FL
I have posted a few things on here lately about my chick, about 8 weeks old. I came to the conclusion today that it seems she almost has a bone sticking out in the middle of her neck. It is above where her crop would be. Could there be something stuck higher up in throat? Whatever it it is is clearly not making her feel herself. I going to take her to the vet but can't do that until tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas? Maybe something that can at least give me a peace of mind until tomorrow. This has all just happened in the last few days.

null_zps3bfe6f35.jpg

The lump does go down some when she puts her head up....
I forgot.. But when you part her feathers in the front you can actually see where something is sticking out of her chest area. It is not going through her skin right now.

Last edited:
I have posted a few things on here lately about my chick, about 8 weeks old. I came to the conclusion today that or seems she almost has a bone sticking out in the middle of her neck. It is above where her crop would be. Could there be something stuck higher up in throat? Whatever it it is is clearly not making her feel herself. I going to take her to the vet but can't do that until tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas? Maybe something that can at least give me a peace of mind until tomorrow. This has all just happened in the last few days.

null_zps3bfe6f35.jpg

The lump does go down some when she puts her head up....
I forgot.. But when you part her feathers in the front you can actually see where something is sticking out of her chest area. It is not going through her skin right now.
Looks like impacted crop. Protrusion could be something she ingested,possible a stick,twig,or shavings. Can you open her beak and see if anything is stuck in her throat? Does she have grit?

Last edited:
Her crop below felt empty.... I have been giving some oil and nothing seems to help yet. This was last night when I took her out of the coop. I am hoping all it is is an impacted crop. The strange thing is its in the middle of her neck. Can an impacted crop go up this far?

Looks like impacted crop. Protrusion could be something she ingested,possible a stick,twig,or shavings. Can you open her beak and see if anything is stuck in her throat? Does she have grit?

Yes, she does have grit. I haven't been able to see anything in her throat but I will check again. If its that badly impacted is their a way I can cure it myself?

The weather here has been REALLY bad lately and some pine shavings we had in a burn pile blew into their pen. If she ingested that could it cause it to be this high?

Last edited:
Her crop below felt empty.... I have been giving some oil and nothing seems to help yet. This was last night when I took her out of the coop. I am hoping all it is is an impacted crop. The strange thing is its in the middle of her neck. Can an impacted crop go up this far?
Yes, if it is a large mass. Can she eat? How is her poop,if green(other than eating grass clippings,etc)usually means she is not eating. Has she had access to long grass clippings,they tend to get knotted up in crop,turns into a twisted ball.

Last edited:
Yes, if it is a large mass. Can she eat? How is her poop,if green(other than eating grass clippings,etc)usually means she is not eating.

She ate very little yesterday. I scrambled her an egg and put some oil on it for her to see if that might help. She has popped a little pit. It's been mostly white and lime green. Then for a while she started pooping alot. It was dark little blobs. She perked up for a little bit. The mass did not go down... And now she's back to feeling punie again. :(

She ate very little yesterday. I scrambled her an egg and put some oil on it for her to see if that might help. She has popped a little pit. It's been mostly white and lime green. Then for a while she started pooping alot. It was dark little blobs. She perked up for a little bit. The mass did not go down... And now she's back to feeling punie again.
sad.png
Yes, i can tell she is not well. Because she is so young,i would let the vet look at her. Can be dangerous massaging crop in young birds,contents may aspirate chick. Make sure she is drinking,chickens can become dehydrated very fast.

Last edited:
Thankfully she has been drinking. I make sure I see her do that. Thank you for your help. I will be at the vets office first thing in the morning. :)

Back
Top Bottom