Books, books and more books!

I have some book recommendations for younger folk, as I'm still a bit too young for adult reads. I generally read fantasy, but some dystopian/YA stuff as well. (when I say dystopian, I mean similar to The Hunger Games or Divergent) I also enjoy realistic fiction.
And realistic fiction, you like dystopian… check out William Forsyth, one second after.
I remember reading “The Scarlet Letter”. I loved it. Did you know there is an error in it? I also read “House of Seven Gables” by Hawthorne.

We read “Tale of Two cities” and parts of Canterbury Tales and “Hamlet”.
I think now kids read more contemporary works. My daughter’s 4th grade teacher read “The Indian in the Cupboard” to them. They were breathless waiting for the next installment!

Oh and we read lots of Steinbeck. Whom I also love. A couple of summers ago my hubby and I read all of his books. Delicious!
people don’t appreciate the classics anymore. Indian in the cupboard-amazeballs. I read it for fun in fourth grade, and that began my interest in the multi-verse.
Dickens is kind of a tough read for the first chapter or so, but once your brain starts speaking Victorian English it’s all good. Made it a point to read all of his.
Hawthorne… eh. He was a witch hunting prude. Could string some words together though…
All time fav though would be the transcendentalists… Whitman, Emerson, and my personal fav, Thoreau.
I remember having to write a 5 paragraph paper, and it ended up being 5 pages.
They were poets, philosophers, against the grain, and Thoreau was a renowned walker. Yes, walker. I used to walk miles… so many

I remember reading “The Scarlet Letter”. I loved it. Did you know there is an error in it?
I know this is an old thread, and nobody asked, but...
You just left it there???
What was the freaking error??? Do I have to read the book all over again? Am I even going to find it, if I invest the time, in this increasingly time-poor world with so many other great books out there?
Please, please tell me.🙏

How sad, someone should pick this up again..I love books. Lover of classics..Jane Austen, Bronte sisters. I've read the very first Spanish to English Don Quixote. My copy is leather bound and a hundred years old (3 volumes). Lovely book. Must read with dictionary. A right proper edition has gobs of archaic words. Lover of unabridged classics. Ooh murder mysteries too..

How sad, someone should pick this up again..I love books. Lover of classics..Jane Austen, Bronte sisters. I've read the very first Spanish to English Don Quixote. My copy is leather bound and a hundred years old (3 volumes). Lovely book. Must read with dictionary. A right proper edition has gobs of archaic words. Lover of unabridged classics. Ooh murder mysteries too..
When playing the game "What 10 books would you like if stranded on a desert island?" my first 6 are Miss Austen's. :D
(My son says he'd have "Raft construction for beginners" and "How to navigate by the stars", haha)

Guilty pleasure..gothic romance. I love Victoria holt..she started writing in the 40s and wrote under several pseudonyms too. Gothic romance isn't the typical romance. There's usually a murder and a whole lot of mystery. Phylis Whitney is good too. I savor these books because both authors are dead. I have Victoria Holt books on my shelf that I haven't read because I know once they're done..they're done. I've collected these books from thrift stores and flea markets so it's sort of a treasure hunt.

Book haul from a local used book place! $5 for the whole stack!
09B19810-10FB-4F88-8123-8DD14D723DDB.jpeg

The black book above the Silmarillion is Dracula.
I never thought I’d find a copy of the Silmarillion for less than $30 much less a hardcover so I’m absolutely thrilled to have found it!

I have that exact copy of wind in the willows sitting on my bookshelf. Winter in the willows is really good to. I haven't read dracula since I was a teen..I loved it though. I need a new copy.
Book haul from a local used book place! $5 for the whole stack!View attachment 3038577
The black book above the Silmarillion is Dracula.
I never thought I’d find a copy of the Silmarillion for less than $30 much less a hardcover so I’m absolutely thrilled to have found it!

Back
Top Bottom