Bored out of my mind and want to talk about chickens...........

WyandotteTX

Songster
10 Years
Jan 10, 2010
I am sitting here bored out of my mind tonight would love to talk about chickens. I have a friend who I usually talk to all the time about chickens but they seem to be a little busy lately and dont have much time to talk.
The wife is asleep but she wouldnt be so interested about listenin to me ramble on about chickens either haha...
Any help?
smile.png

For a moment or two.... It is late, but there is nothing I like more than telling chicken stories. I have a REALLY pretty tree in the coop, and it has some really dense dark green, skinny leaves. Apparently my DH fed the chickens jumping beans because the jump up HIGH to get the leaves. And it is a HOOT to watch!!

I searched for a Blue Cochin Roo because I think they're beautiful and heard how sweet they are. Well, my boy turned on us as soon as we put him in with the pullets. Now he's listed on CL and I feel LOUSY! Is that ridiculous or what??? I've only had him a few months, I eat chicken weekly, and I need to make sure the kids are safe....but I feel terrible...Tell me something to put it into perspective!!!
barnie.gif

Knock Kneed Hen - I feel for you, but I can tell you that your Roo is not behaving in the normal manner of Cochins, at least in my experiences.

Out of HUNDREDS of Cochins, I have had only one rooster that was mean. I bought him grown to use for breeding. He was beautiful! He was a great breeder and protector of his hens, but mean as all get out.
He escaped one day and I just knew he was a goner because he went right for one of DH's game Roosters...he took quite a beating and disappeared. He showed up 3 days later, he was a little nicer, but as soon as he was caught and put back in with his hens, he was back to his old self. His chicks, grandchicks and great grandchicks did not get mean. I finally had to re-home him, because my GD couldn't play with her Cochin hens because of him. She tried her best to tame him down, but nothing worked.

He was replaced by one of his offspring and peace reigned throughout the Cochin kingdom again.

Jean

Last edited:
I have wyandottes yes but have raised just about any and everything along the way. Raising chickens has been affliction for myself and family for many years.
I am thinking I would like some nice White Langshans or some White/Black Minorcas. I wish the traditional breeds like those would be more popular. No offense to anyone who raises them, I get tired of reading about Lavender whatever and Marans...........guess I am a traditionalist haha...

I am a fan of Old English bantams and have a real curiosity for American Game Bantams, I think they look extraordinary. The only thing that has kept me back is having to dub cockerels. Its not that I am opposed to it, just never done it or seen it done and didnt want to mangle a bird in the process.
There are so many colors of OEG bantams that are just gorgeous and would love to raise one of these days..

Quote:
I put a branch in my run for them to sit on and then had a heck of a time getting them to go in. . . they acted like it was an anaconda laying on the ground! Chickens definitely are a hoot to watch!

Back
Top Bottom