Boredom Busters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SixSassyHens, Feb 9, 2014.

1. SixSassyHens

SixSassyHens New Egg

Jan 31, 2014
    I need ideas for boredom busters for my hens. Any ideas?

2. Alicatt

Alicatt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2013
    catskills, New York
    My chickens are very curious, so I like to change it up on them. I will rearrange the perches, or put a stump in, or a cinder block. I put the hay down in big chunks and let the chickens distribute it. Last fall I gathered leaves and pine needles, dumped piles for them to scratch through. Right now is freezing, so have deep hay in covered pen, if I "scratch" down to the dirt in a couple places the chickens hop into the "hole" and start scratching away looking for a fallen morsel. And then of course are the treats.

3. spies04

spies04 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Minnesota
    On another post, a fellow BackYard member posted she gives her hens boxes and they love them. She leaves the boxes in for a few days and then switches them out. Do a search on boxes for the specific post - it sounds like a great idea that I am going to try.

4. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    I put various fruits and veggies on a shepherd's hook plant holder. The chickens like to jump up and peck at whatever treat I have given them.

5. spies04

spies04 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Minnesota
    Do you have any issues with injury from the hook? I have some "challenged" chickens who I adore but can be funny [​IMG]. They get themselves into some odd situations.

6. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    No problems with the hook at all

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by