BOSS vs Corn

I'm having a hard time believing sunflower seed doesn't provide quick energy. Black oil is over 30% fat. That equates to quick energy.

For a winter treat/supplement my vote is on B.O.S.S. as it's high fat (quick energy), high protein (14% opposed to corns 8%) and has better overall nutritional value. It's not even a contest to me.

But I only give it in mornings not a night feed. That I leave for the turkey finisher which is my "all flock" feed.

Last edited:
I am thinking about still giving them some BOSS in the middle of the day as a treat and maybe some corn in the evening, during cold nights to boost their metabolism.

I do scratch, cracked corn and sunflower seeds, twice a day, morning and late afternoon, year round.

I'm having a hard time believing sunflower seed doesn't provide quick energy. Black oil is over 30% fat. That equates to quick energy.

For a winter treat/supplement my vote is on B.O.S.S. as it's high fat (quick energy), high protein (14% opposed to corns 8%) and has better overall nutritional value. It's not even a contest to me.

But I only give it in mornings not a night feed. That I leave for the turkey finisher which is my "all flock" feed.

Well in all actuality, BOSS IS better energy, its just the extra fiber makes it slower to digest, and the original question pertaining to "quick boost" for the night... I actually use the same amount of BOSS as corn in my feed, and if it were shelled, that would put it over the corn, hands down. But I can't do that because of my ratio, it will shoot my fat % way over what I'm working with....

BOSS is a better alternative than corn in almost every way, but those quick carbs in corn mean fast sugar energy, whereas the BOSS is sure to boost energy and healthy fats in the long run...

Really the only reason I use corn at all is its a cheap easy filler for the last 15% I need in my feed. Lol cheep cheep. :p

Edit* I scrounged this up just in case anyone interested, its a feed ingredient catalog :)
http://www.adm.com/en-US/products/Documents/ADM-Feed-Ingredients-Catalog.pdf

Last edited:
Shortbread, that was a really good link. I appreciate all the info everyone input. It gave a better understanding for the value of each, corn and BOSS.

No problem :) it helps understanding of how they are processed and what the difference is between say, dry matter conversion in fermented corn...

I didn't even think if it until I reread it lol, the corn has important amino acids, lysine, cholates,... lutein was brought up in another thread recently, so I knew I was forgetting something ;)

I like working with the fillers and byproducts too; as long as everybody is healthy and productive, I can change it up and experiment; its kind of fun! :D

BTW, Hounddog777, I'm in North Colorado. We get blasted with -20 and 40 mph wind all winter; they stay plenty warm; the coop and ventilation being key factors there; doesn't hurt to add in some extra boost in carbs to help keep immunity and overall health at maximum through the cold; very good thinking on your part ;)

Last edited:
I tried crumbles at first and had to purchase oyster shell too. I now get the mini layer pellets complete because it includes oyster shell in it. They love it and i don't have to buy the oyster shell separately. Here in Nevada it's 16.99 for 50lbs.

I go to my local rural king and buy country road layer crumbles which include the oyster shell and it's medicated against cocci I've not had a single chicken die nor have I had laying issues... They actually seem to lay to many.. Got a fridge full of eggs...

At least I have a plan now, for winter. BTW, the ladies just started laying on a daily basis, they are 18 weeks old.

Really appreciate all your replies and stay warm this winter, here in NE Tennessee, it can get cold, but nothing near that.

Back
Top Bottom