Bossy or a boy!?!

NewYorkMama

Songster
7 Years
Apr 17, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Hi all! I have 6 chicks around 5-6ish weeks old. They’re still inside because it got down to 27° here last night(!!) Come on Mother Nature it’s MAY.

Anyhow, two of the chicks are buff orpingtons, the same age. One is a bit smaller than the other, her tail is shorter, yet her comb is much bigger and even has little red waddles developing. This little chick is BOSSY. S(he) will run up chest first to every chick even the black olive eggers who are much bigger than s(he) is and chest bump them and peck. She’s also LOUD. So I’m wondering… is this a boy? Or just a boss? Any other ways to tell for sure or is it just too early?

We’re surrounded by farms so rooster noise isn’t really a concern I just haven’t truly ever wanted a rooster because I wanted my girls to keep living their peaceful un-pestered by roosters lives. 😂

Some photo! The possible boy…
IMG_1605.jpeg

And her/his sister:

IMG_1607.jpeg

note her long tail and lack of comb. She’s also super docile compared to the other one. How I remember orpington chicks usually are!

You do in fact have a boy and a girl. That comb is a dead giveaway.

I would give him a chance to see if he is a good one, we really enjoy our roosters. Yes, they do take their job a little seriously at times, but I'm not sure how much the hens really mind it.

Never having had a roo is there any way to ensure he’ll be gentle as a grown up? I handle & cuddle them all a LOT. I guess/hope being an orpington is a checkmark in his favor!?

Having them raised up with older birds can help. I wouldn't handle too much, they may start to think of you as an equal instead of above them. It's almost like they should feel respected, but also a tiny bit afraid of you.

There is a lot of ideas on here about training roosters (you can look it up), but I think the individual bird decides more than anything else.

Orpingtons are a better breed for roosters, but you will still see some crazy ones. Just post a new thread if you need help if you cross that bridge, but hopefully you won't need to. ☺️

Hello!

I personally believe that handling a lot will prove to be beneficial, because they (especially the cockerel) will learn that you are not something to be afraid of or to defend his girls against. It makes them easier to catch and hold as full-grown hens and roosters too. In my experience, the friendliest cockerels and roosters I’ve had have been the ones I’ve raised from chicks and spent lots of time holding and handling. The only mean rooster I’ve ever had was given to me by a friend who never handled him much, because their chickens were raised simply for eggs and meat instead of as pets.

I’ve also found that if your chickens learn to associate you with food, then they will coming running to you every time they see you, and usually will be fine with you picking them up or petting them, and will even sometimes fly up onto you LOL.

I think you should definitely try to keep your cockerel. He may just be the best little boy you’ve ever seen! If you continue raising him how you have been, he should be very friendly as an adult. Plus, he’s a buff Orpington, which is often considered one of the most docile and friendly breeds out there! Most roosters are good and will not hurt your hens, so long as you have enough of them. He will also help protect your hens by alerting them of danger. He will also give you fertilized eggs if you ever wanted to hatch some chicks if your own. Not only that, but it’s also super fun to just watch him act like such a little gentleman, leading the girls around to food and showing them where it is. Their crows are also super cute (especially their first few times 🤣)

I think it is personality, not handling that leads to well behaved roosters. The risk with lots of handling is that the bird will imprint on you, and then basically think you are part of his flock, and not a human who is separate and deserving of respect. It all depends on the bird, because some will imprint easier than others, but I err on the side of caution.

https://www.wildlifecenter.org/human-imprinting-birds-and-importance-surrogacy

I have an air of interdependence with my roosters, and I only handle them if necessary, and it has gone great, too.

It's definitely a cockerel. I had dealt with an extremely aggressive roo and I told myself in a few years I would go back and try a rooster again. But my extra chick from a hatchery is a roo I have decided to give him a chance he is very respectful to the older hens and leaves me alone he is six weeks old almost seven and he looks to be growing up into a sweet boy. I would definitely give your boy a chance!

Having them raised up with older birds can help. I wouldn't handle too much, they may start to think of you as an equal instead of above them. It's almost like they should feel respected, but also a tiny bit afraid of you

This, a million times - you MUST maintain the fact that you are the boss of the boss and just like an infant, holding them and catering to them can make them believe this is their world. We have broody hen hatched roosters, that were never held once affectionately - and they are very docile, and treat their ladies with respect.

ALWAYS when I let them out each morning, I will stand there and stare at them for about 30 seconds and turn continuing to face them as they walk, then hand feed them, and only them some worms. It is very manipulative yes, but I believe this reminds them that I can whip their butts if I wanted, but am still a friend.

We recently had a few roosters, a Polish and a Maran mix. The polish was just a jerk, and the Maran mix was very nice and respectful to me, but he attacked everyone else. So I have started having my sons come with me and partake in the "stare down feeding" routine in the morning. On that note, I have found Maran roosters to have a more aggressive temperament in general - may have just been bad luck.

Back
Top Bottom