Boston Poultry Expo show June 5th

Would someone be willing to explain the testing protocols a bit. Specifically, if I wanted to buy some birds from this show (sales area) at what age are they tested for pillorium-typhoid?

And how "safe" is this source to buy stock?

I attended and loved seeing all the gorgeous birds and meeting a few people that I Pm or have talked on the phone with. I 'm looking forward to the next show!

Quote:
Chickens (also guineas, gamefowl, turkeys and peafowl) must be 16 weeks old for their first blood test. Waterfowl are exempt. The testing in Mass. also includes for avian influenza.

As for buying stock from show people, it's still kind of a mixed bag. While they must all be tested and clean of pullorum/typhoid and AI, there is no guarantee that they are not carriers for Marek's, infectious coryza and other diseases that are not considered part of the testing requirement. Caveat emptor!

That said, experienced poultry people, especially those who join organizations and participate in shows, tend to take their stocks' health very seriously, and would not damage their breeds' reputations, nor their own reputations, by selling sick or disease-carrying stock. IMO you can do very well at the sales presented by dedicated breeders and other poultry lovers who keep their flocks clean and healthy. But don't be shy about asking (in a diplomatic way) questions about flock health for birds you're thinking of buying. Anyone who is dedicated to their hobby will have no hesitation about answering them fully and honestly.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Chickens (also guineas, gamefowl, turkeys and peafowl) must be 16 weeks old for their first blood test. Waterfowl are exempt. The testing in Mass. also includes for avian influenza.

As for buying stock from show people, it's still kind of a mixed bag. While they must all be tested and clean of pullorum/typhoid and AI, there is no guarantee that they are not carriers for Marek's, infectious coryza and other diseases that are not considered part of the testing requirement. Caveat emptor!

That said, experienced poultry people, especially those who join organizations and participate in shows, tend to take their stocks' health very seriously, and would not damage their breeds' reputations, nor their own reputations, by selling sick or disease-carrying stock. IMO you can do very well at the sales presented by dedicated breeders and other poultry lovers who keep their flocks clean and healthy. But don't be shy about asking (in a diplomatic way) questions about flock health for birds you're thinking of buying. Anyone who is dedicated to their hobby will have no hesitation about answering them fully and honestly.
smile.png

thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom