Boston Terriers - What I Should Know About Ethical Breeding

Thank you. Yes we are going to do plenty of research before doing this. It’s still several months out until we’re even going to start searching for a Boston female. All we have right now is our male neutered Boston Terrier who’s five years old. My response to tigger will also answer to your response as well.
If you seriously plan to breed, start with a show-quality dog or a puppy from a show-breeder. Those dogs (and cats, too) are not only bred to a physical standard, but for soundness and temperament, as well. Pet store and backyard/farm puppy breeders are NOT good candidates for breeding programs. Your female should have at least a few "points" on her from showing. Your male should be a certified "champion." If you're not sure what either of those mean, (no insult intended (honestly!) then you have a bit more homework to do before you even think about breeding.

As far as litter numbers go, one litter a year is for serious, SOP breeders, only. Two a year is a puppy mill. If you're going to breed, be responsible. That's the only way to be fair to yourselves, your buyers and your dogs.

And, as a previous poster noted, there are already too many dogs in the shelters, including many purebreds. Every puppy we bring into the world takes a home away from one who is already here.

If you seriously plan to breed, start with a show-quality dog or a puppy from a show-breeder. Those dogs (and cats, too) are not only bred to a physical standard, but for soundness and temperament, as well. Pet store and backyard/farm puppy breeders are NOT good candidates for breeding programs. Your female should have at least a few "points" on her from showing. Your male should be a certified "champion." If you're not sure what either of those mean, (no insult intended (honestly!) then you have a bit more homework to do before you even think about breeding.

As far as litter numbers go, one litter a year is for serious, SOP breeders, only. Two a year is a puppy mill. If you're going to breed, be responsible. That's the only way to be fair to yourselves, your buyers and your dogs.

And, as a previous poster noted, there are already too many dogs in the shelters, including many purebreds. Every puppy we bring into the world takes a home away from one who is already here.
Thank you your help. It’s super helpful! Yes there are many dogs, cats, rabbits, horses that end up in shelters because of irresponsible people breeding just for quantities. Like I said before, we would screen potential Boston buyers to see if they will be a good home, and offer a lifetime support so if ever at any point in that Boston’s life they need to get rid of it or can’t care for it any longer, they bring it right back to us and we find that Boston a loving home. That way all our dogs would never end up in a shelter. Thanks for the help!

@HorsesRMe123 do your research. Obtain a mentor and quality bred/health checked pup. Make your own decisions. As you know dog breeding has many dissidents. As long as you are breeding with a purpose and improvement of the breed in mind, go for it. I compliment you on the way you have dealt with some of the didactic negativity expressed here.

I have bred, raised, trained, and competed with field trial beagles for over 62 years. I make a mating because I want pups from a particular b*tch and male. In this period of time I have sold one litter back when we were flat out broke and I needed the $ to campaign their dam and two older siblings (all of which made their championships.) Pups that do not make the grade for me are relocated in pet homes. Dogs can be bred and raised conscientiously, and my gut is that you are the sort who would do exactly that.

@HorsesRMe123 do your research. Obtain a mentor and quality bred/health checked pup. Make your own decisions. As you know dog breeding has many dissidents. As long as you are breeding with a purpose and improvement of the breed in mind, go for it. I compliment you on the way you have dealt with some of the didactic negativity expressed here.

I have bred, raised, trained, and competed with field trial beagles for over 62 years. I make a mating because I want pups from a particular b*tch and male. In this period of time I have sold one litter back when we were flat out broke and I needed the $ to campaign their dam and two older siblings (all of which made their championships.) Pups that do not make the grade for me are relocated in pet homes. Dogs can be bred and raised conscientiously, and my gut is that you are the sort who would do exactly that.
Thank you for your input! I really appreciate the encouraging response. Very interesting history of your beagle breeding!

Yes, I think the fact I came here to ask people of their input on breeding shows that I want to be an ethical breeder in the first place.

Thanks so much for the help. I really appreciate how calm you replied. Very very appreciated!!

All she did was ask for help. She could have decided not to ask for help, and then not known everything. She asked one simple question, and she receives narrow-minded, rude, not open to agreement, headstrong, prideful, fierce, unwielding, not showing any compassion or affection remarks. This world, they see something that they can crush and they do. I have to say, it’s quite sad that someone wants to crush someone, especially when they aren’t knowledgeable of the topic and they are just showing an interest. You win, is that what you want to hear? You always win, and you crush other people in the process, because you can’t show open mindedness to another person’s opinion. What do you want? All I have to say in the end is that if there were more people with calmness, gentleness, and open to thinking about someone’s opinion, and not bashing them because they don’t think the same way, there would be a lot more happy people out there. Your opinion is not the only one that counts, everyone is equal and can make their own decisions. I will advise you, if anyone does reply to this, please be kind. You have no clue what could be going on in someone’s emotional, mental or physical state. All I have to say is that it’s sad because it feels like people have stone hearts sometimes.

All she did was ask for help. She could have decided not to ask for help, and then not known everything. She asked one simple question, and she receives narrow-minded, rude, not open to agreement, headstrong, prideful, fierce, unwielding, not showing any compassion or affection remarks. This world, they see something that they can crush and they do. I have to say, it’s quite sad that someone wants to crush someone, especially when they aren’t knowledgeable of the topic and they are just showing an interest. You win, is that what you want to hear? You always win, and you crush other people in the process, because you can’t show open mindedness to another person’s opinion. What do you want? All I have to say in the end is that if there were more people with calmness, gentleness, and open to thinking about someone’s opinion, and not bashing them because they don’t think the same way, there would be a lot more happy people out there. Your opinion is not the only one that counts, everyone is equal and can make their own decisions. I will advise you, if anyone does reply to this, please be kind. You have no clue what could be going on in someone’s emotional, mental or physical state. All I have to say is that it’s sad because it feels like people have stone hearts sometimes.
No one on this thread is trying to hurt anyone's feelings. Everything that's been posted is valid information and OP has taken everything in stride. From OPs responses it sounds like they're ready and willing to do all of the needed research and they sound like they care about their dogs. I do hope they reconsider breeding, but we can't force anyone to change their minds. Just give them the information and hope they do the best they can.

Back
Top Bottom