Boston Terriers - What I Should Know About Ethical Breeding

https://www.bostonterrierclubofamerica.org/

Be prepared for a long wait list, everybody wants a dog right now

site is outdated, but worth a email or a call - http://www.touchofmagicbostons.net/

Send anybody here a email and ask questions - https://bostonbarker.com/breeder-list

Here is a rescue if you want to go that route - https://www.btrww.org/frames.html

Here is what I look for in a breeder :

My ideal breeder is someone who is doing this because they love the breed.
They want to see each new generation born at least as good as the previous, ideally better.
They provide for every dog in their care as if that dog is their own.
They will be there for the new family, and stand behind that pup for it's lifetime, rain or shine, with or without a contract.
They will know the standards and pedigrees of their chosen breed, health and genetic diversity of their lines, and breed to better them.
They will know of the latest studies in health standards for their chosen breed and variety and do the health testing of their breeding dogs.
They prove their dogs meet breed standards and are physically capable by breeding from sires and dams proven in competition or participating in other activities.
They do not cross breed.
They will have as many questions for me as I do for them.
They invest in their dogs. They don't expect the dogs to support them.
There's also a Boston Terrier Club of Western Washington. When I had Shih Tzu, I joined a breed club near my home. I learned a LOT just by attending meetings and shows ... and it was FUN! Many years later, I no longer have my mini babies, but I still have the friends I made along the way!

I do not have experience with breeding or with Boston Terriers but I will say this: a responsible breeder will be sure that puppies go to good homes, not to people who will dump them.
A lot of them will offer to take back a puppy that can no longer be cared for, and some even have contracts to be sure the puppy is spayed or neutered once old enough.

Its puppy mill dogs that are sold at pet stores that are bought from irresponsible buyers making impulse decisions. Those are the dogs that end up in shelters and on the streets. Those dogs are unhealthy, neglected or abused.

I will always recommend that people check their local rescues before purchasing from a breeder. A lot of people are not able to rescue dogs for many reasons though. I couldn't because of allergies. It's not always common to find a hypoallergenic dog. They are most often mixed breeds.
And a lot of dogs end up in shelters because their previous owner could not pay for their health issues. Not everyone can afford that. Or some might be looking for a small lap dog. Those can be hard to find in shelters.
These are just a few examples.

There is nothing wrong with buying from a reputable breeder who cares about their dogs.
We got our two dogs from breeders who did not over breed, did not breed unhealthy dogs, did not sell to impulse buyers, and they care about their dogs.
Those breeder do not contribute to the overpopulation of homeless dogs and dogs in shelters.

Last edited:
I do not have experience with breeding or with Boston Terriers but I will say this: a responsible breeder will be sure that puppies go to good homes, not to people who will dump them.
A lot of them will offer to take back a puppy that can no longer be cared for, and some even have contracts to be sure the puppy is spayed or neutered once old enough.

Its puppy mill dogs that are sold at pet stores that are bought from irresponsible buyers making impulse decisions. Those are the dogs that end up in shelters and on the streets. Those dogs are unhealthy, neglected or abused.

I will always recommend that people check their local rescues before purchasing from a breeder. A lot of people are not able to rescue dogs for many reasons though. I couldn't because of allergies. It's not always common to find a hypoallergenic dog. They are most often mixed breeds.
And a lot of dogs end up in shelters because their previous owner could not pay for their health issues. Not everyone can afford that. Or some might be looking for a small lap dog. Those can be hard to find in shelters.
These are just a few examples.

There is nothing wrong with buying from a reputable breeder who cares about their dogs.
We got our two dogs from breeders who did not over breed, did not breed unhealthy dogs, did not sell to impulse buyers, and they care about their dogs.
Those breeder do not contribute to the overpopulation of homeless dogs and dogs in shelters.
Exactly! If you have responsible breeders who care about their animals and all the puppies that leave, there would be way less animals ending up in shelters or running the streets without a home. I know if we do end up breeding, we’re going to have a return to breeder policy for each buyer so that if any of them need to return the dog at any point in their life, they bring the dog back to us.

Hello again everyone! I’d like to update everyone on our journey with Boston’s. So, we have gotten our male Boston Terrier. He is gorgeous. His name is Huey. His AKC name is Huey’s Hidden Hues. We’ve had him since April now. He has a wonderful temperament and is super social with everyone. Our other Boston Terrier, Dozer, who is 5 years old didn’t like him at first, but they love each other now! Dozer still makes sure he’s top of the pecking order though. 😂 Huey is a black and white Boston Terrier but carries several other colors including blue, chocolate, and lilac. We have full registration on him. He is fully AKC registered. We have a five generation pedigree on him. We are excited to incorporate him when we begin breeding because he has a longer nose than most Boston Terriers! He was also free whelped. He is super big for a Boston Terrier - 26 pounds now at 8 months old! We tested Huey for a genetic condition that is more common in the Boston Terrier - juvenile hereditary cataracts (JHC). We tested him a few months ago for it and he is fully clear and does not carry it. He will also have BAER and patellar luxation tests done so we know he’s all clear for breeding. But he won’t breed for a couple years yet since we still have to get the female. We plan on getting a blue colored female because it’s a really cool color. We have a deposit on the female so hopefully will be getting her in a few months.
B548F6D8-987A-4DB8-BEC8-3B074ACFABB8.jpeg
C3F8079A-C9F6-429B-81BE-EB56D6AD87B9.jpeg
A2FC922B-D1E2-4A66-96E7-8D63A151506A.jpeg
9287F509-2122-4F05-9E2E-C230E4DF5D4E.jpeg
1FAB7412-9D41-49D1-890E-A80A328029B6.jpeg
A43E5EF6-0E7B-4717-AC76-901DAD930BD3.jpeg
68243E5A-9370-4C85-BAD4-DE636C7870EA.jpeg
E36A441F-F01A-450D-B561-46DD0AEBB992.jpeg
D523116C-12FD-4629-86BC-B2F98E6C4C3A.jpeg
5E8F3EE3-A229-40D8-B785-1C8C72A94F0F.jpeg

Hello again everyone! I’d like to update everyone on our journey with Boston’s. So, we have gotten our male Boston Terrier. He is gorgeous. His name is Huey. His AKC name is Huey’s Hidden Hues. We’ve had him since April now. He has a wonderful temperament and is super social with everyone. Our other Boston Terrier, Dozer, who is 5 years old didn’t like him at first, but they love each other now! Dozer still makes sure he’s top of the pecking order though. 😂 Huey is a black and white Boston Terrier but carries several other colors including blue, chocolate, and lilac. We have full registration on him. He is fully AKC registered. We have a five generation pedigree on him. We are excited to incorporate him when we begin breeding because he has a longer nose than most Boston Terriers! He was also free whelped. He is super big for a Boston Terrier - 26 pounds now at 8 months old! We tested Huey for a genetic condition that is more common in the Boston Terrier - juvenile hereditary cataracts (JHC). We tested him a few months ago for it and he is fully clear and does not carry it. He will also have BAER and patellar luxation tests done so we know he’s all clear for breeding. But he won’t breed for a couple years yet since we still have to get the female. We plan on getting a blue colored female because it’s a really cool color. We have a deposit on the female so hopefully will be getting her in a few months. View attachment 2875263View attachment 2875264View attachment 2875266View attachment 2875265View attachment 2875262View attachment 2875261View attachment 2875260View attachment 2875259View attachment 2875257View attachment 2875258
He is cute! I would love to hear more updates on your breeding adventure! (Also see more cute dog pictures) I am interested in learning about breeding dogs, so hearing about somebody starting would be very interesting

He is cute! I would love to hear more updates on your breeding adventure! (Also see more cute dog pictures) I am interested in learning about breeding dogs, so hearing about somebody starting would be very interesting
Yes! I will definitely do more updates! We’ve done so much research and learned a lot more for what it takes. What breed are you interested in breeding?

Back
Top Bottom