both eyes swollen shut.

Mareloo

Songster
12 Years
Oct 28, 2007
South Africa
I have a 10 week old chick who I found yesterday morning with both eyes swollen shut. (It is now day 2 late evening) (It wasn't swollen so much and had no discharge)

Yesterday morning I started of by washing his eyes with some warm water. It didn't help. There are no medicine for chicken eyes in my whole area. I did found at the pharmacy medicine for new born (human) baby with sore eyes. After about half hour I put some on the chick, he did open both eyes. By yesterday evening both were swollen shut again. I applied some salf again. This morning one eye were open but had a heavy yellow discharge. This evening both are swollen shut again and look more swollen. More red on the area around the eye. Frankly, it look worse and it feels to me like the chick is weaker..

I should also mention that the only antibiotics I have is in flue medicine for chickens. I got him since yesterday morning on that to..

kuikenenkat003.jpg

kuikenenkat004.jpg

kuikenenkat005.jpg

If this isn't clear enough for who ever to see what needs to be seen, pls say so, I will try again with more pics.

Can somebody please make any suggestions on what I can possibly do for this poor chick. Does anybody know what caused this?

ANY suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

If you have a TSC near you, get some water-soluble Terramycin asap. Most feed mills also carry it. Mix the Terramycin 4 tsp per gallon in the water; this a dose suitable for adults or chicks. Also ask for Terramycin eye gel...it is for use in all livestock, including chickens. If you can't find the gel, you can use the terramycin water as an eye wash, with a dropper or sterile q-tip. Failing all else, you can buy human eye wash at the drug store, and use that. We have had chicks and adults with eye problems and have successfully treated it with human eye wash first, then applying the gel, twice a day. But lots of times, eye problems are just a symptom of a bigger problem, some virus or infection your chick may have. Isolate the chick from the others. That's why you would want to keep them on the Terramycin for ten days to two weeks, as well as apply the ointment or wash. I would start with the Terramycin, then monitor the bird closely and go from there. There are several websites you can buy stuff for chickens from, including www.firststatevetsupply.com or Murray McMurray's website. If you don't have an immediate resource for antibiotics in the water, or if you prefer not to go that route, I have read that raw apple cider is a good thing to use in the water, also, as a sort of natural antibiotic. You don't say where you are, but Terramycin is a very common drug used for livestock problems, and you may even be able to get some from a pet store or local vet.

Under his Avatar, it says Marloo is from South Africa.

I agree that separation from the flock should be done as it could be a disease. If a general antibiotic can be found, that would be great. I don't really know what to say about how to fix it though, especially since animal meds are hard to come by where you are.

Good luck.

Hmm, just noticed where you are...didn't show up when I first read the post, for some reason. But, I would still look for feed mills or stores that might carry the antibiotic.. Maybe there's a vet near you that could tell you where to look?

The chick is separated. I use sulphamezathine 16% flu medicine. Sulphacetamide is the human eye ointment. Believe me if I tell you there is nothing else available. I looked everywhere and phoned half the day. Murray McMurray's doesn't ship to SA. I have asked them.

I can lay may hands on any kind of human meds. What about human antibiotics? Or human eye washes or gels?

We also haven't got raw apple cider. Any other remidys you can maybe think about?

I am going to figure out now how to read a PM.

Mareloo - try making a saline solution (salt water - somewhere on here, there's a recipe for the salt concentration), to cleanse and rinse the eyes. The saline will also help with the infection (salt kills most bacteria).

If you have any fresh garlic, try adding a little to the bird's water. It will help boost the immune system, plus it has antibiotic properties as well.

I've read somewhere, but never tried it, that brewed black tea will help with eye infections (in humans, not sure about chickens).

Edited to say - Yes you do drop the liquid tea into the eye, make sure there are no leaves or bits left to irritate the eyes. It apparently does not cause any pain (from any of the articles I've read, everyone says it doesn't hurt).

Last edited by a moderator:
My vet has a chicken of mine on amoxicillin. It is the same as for a person. You can add to their drinking water or squirt a few drops in their mouth. Hope this helps. Let us know how the little one is doing.

ChicknGurl.. With all due respect.. Wont I burn my chicks eyes out with salt water? I know salt will make it heal.. but in the eyes????

Garlic I got.. I will put in the water now. Thank you!

Black tea I will never found out, simply because we haven't got.

nickki99.. Amoxicillin I will get in the morning! I know the name. Do you know the dosage your vet got your chicken on?

Back
Top Bottom