both eyes swollen shut.

the swelling is due to a systemic cause (deficiency or bacterial etc) so that will need to be addressed... is there any respiratory symptoms? If so treat with the appropriate med for that (tylan, erythromycin. chloortetracycline)....
For the eye itself I can only suggest what I have seen in the vet articles and that is to flush the eyes with sterile saline (you can make this yourself by boiling up a liter of water with 1/4 tsp salt for five minutes then cool...this will need to be made fresh daily) and flush out the eyes and while wiping away you will see that the gentle pressure made by wiping the eye with a soaked-in-saline cotton swab will bring away the cheesy crud that is causing the swelling (you may do this three times a day if necessary) > after you can apply a opthamolic (especially made for the eye) antibiotic solution/creme especially made for the eye (you can use one for a dog or human or cat >as long as it is for the eye )
I would also suggest you go to the store and get a liquid vit A supplement that is sold for babies/children (if it is combined with vit B-D as it often is this is also ok) and give three drops in beak once a day for a week then taper off the next because vit A deficiency will also produce this .

Last edited:
I got the bird on antibiotics, garlic in her water and washing her eyes with salt water. It is 24 hours later now and there is no change. I expect the worse. The bird did eat today. Very little.

I found a dead chick in the same coop this one was in. Inspected the body. To strange, I cant see any cause for this sudden death.. I am very, very worried. I pray I don't have a disease in the coop..

I only read about the boric acid now now. It sounds even more dangerous than the salt water! I will however try that tomorrow morning also.. I hope..

Dlhunicorn.. I am sorry. Your English is way to advanced for me. I do not understand half of what is in your post and I have re read it several times. Not even dictionary.com knows what opthamolic mean.. Please explain simply.

The swelling is due to something I don't feed them or a sickness? If I assume correctly.. How do I find out witch one, to be able to fix the problem?

There are no respiratory problems. it is just an incredible hot time in the season. I wont be surprised if we got a heat wave. All, human and animal, is battling the heat..

I have seen liquid vit supplements. I will get in the morning.

Thank you all for being of such great assistance. Me, and the bird are great full. Very.

Mareloo, opthemalic means a medicine for the eye. It is a cream or something like that.

saline solution: you must boil the water and salt so there are no germs alive in the water. Make some very clean cotton wet with the saline and clean the eyes with this. Make new water every day.

Put the eye medicine on the eyes after they are clean.

I hope this helps.
smile.png

Well,Mareloo, I'm very sorry to hear about your chick's eye problems. I have no advice. But I am very good at changing English words! I will add to 3peeps' post. Here is a new version of --dlhunicorn's-- post:

The swelling of the chick's eye is caused by something happening to the whole body, not just the eye. It might be something missing in the feed mix that is causing it.. Or it might be a bacterial infection causing it....or other such thing. So, if you only treat the eye, that will not solve the problem.

For example, if there were breathing problems, then you would treat with a medicine such as tylan, erythromycin, chloortetracycline.... fixing that illness would then allow the eyes to become healthy also.

While you try to figure out the whole body problem, you can treat the eyes this way: Make a clean salt water mix. Boil 1 liter water with 1/4 teaspoon salt. After it boils 5 minutes, let it cool down again. Use this water to wash the chick's eyes. Get a clean cotton swab wet in the salt water, and wipe the chick's eyes gently. There is "crud/dirty stuff" in the eye, that looks like cheese lumps. This stuff makes the eye swell. So, if you clean it out, the swelling will go down.

You can clean the eyes 3 times each day. Make a new salt water mix every day, so it will be clean. After you clean the eyes with the salt water mix, put some antibiotic on the eyes. It must be a medicine made for eyes. "Opthalmic" is the English scientific word about eyes. It can be a medicine for human eyes, cat eyes, or dog eyes.

It might be a Vitamin A deficiency causing the chick's health problems. You can get liquid Vitamin A from the store. They sell it for babies and children. Sometimes it is mixed with Vitamin B and D. This is also OK. You should put 3 drops of the Vitamin liquid in the chick's beak every day. Do this for one week. Then slowly stop giving the Vitamin A in the 2nd week.

Last edited:
NewGuineaChooks.. You friend, understand the topic very well! Thanks to you, so do I now!

It is a new day. I am going to look if the bird is still alive.. Not my favorite part..

The bird has died..

Thank you all for trying so hard to help me..

I will know better next time and be able to react faster..

Back
Top Bottom