bottom hen bullied

aolexa21

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 23, 2013
Lambertville NJ
After 30 day quarentine and close cage contact we moved 3 new chickrnd to our flock of 4. The first few days they pecked at the polish top hat and bullied her around, she protected the 2 silkies under her. Yesterday, the bullied her so bad she ran away and never came back. Now My silkie is being pecked at non stop by the top hen/barred rock. This morning she was bleeding. I fixed her wound and bandaged it then put her into a seperate coop alongside the main coop with the other silkie. I don't think putting them back in the main coop after she heals will stop yhe violent pecking. How can I make peace?

After 30 day quarentine and close cage contact we moved 3 new chickrnd to our flock of 4. The first few days they pecked at the polish top hat and bullied her around, she protected the 2 silkies under her. Yesterday, the bullied her so bad she ran away and never came back. Now My silkie is being pecked at non stop by the top hen/barred rock. This morning she was bleeding. I fixed her wound and bandaged it then put her into a seperate coop alongside the main coop with the other silkie. I don't think putting them back in the main coop after she heals will stop yhe violent pecking. How can I make peace?
Try removing the most aggressive hen for a couple of days,see if the pecking stops. This should change the dynamics of the pecking order.

I have silkies and orpingtons,both docile breeds. My head hen(orpington)never bothers with the silkes,but the hen at the bottom of the pecking order of orpingtons,will chase the silkies every chance she gets(they have all been together for a long time). She never hurts them,but she just loves to chase the silkie roosters and hens. Just her way of establishing her superiority in the pecking order. The silkie roosters will run when they see her coming,but the silkie hens sometimes will try and stand up to her,never works,but they try. I have extra feed and water containers to accommodate all of them.

I took the barred rock out for 2 weeks and then returned her to the flock. It was if she never left. She went right back to pecking at the silkies the second she got back into the coop. I isolated her again. I don't know what the heck I'm going to do now.

I took the barred rock out for 2 weeks and then returned her to the flock. It was if she never left. She went right back to pecking at the silkies the second she got back into the coop. I isolated her again. I don't know what the heck I'm going to do now.
Pinless peepers might help, another coop/pen will also work, otherwise it's time for her to go bye bye.

Back
Top Bottom