Bought from a breeder as Ameraucana.New pics.Is it the red???

Ameraucanas should not have feathered legs. And they look roo-ish to me also. I would definitely get back in touch with the breeder. I can understand them not promising show quality birds, but if they promised at least purebred birds and not mutts and also sold them as pullets, and you paid purebred pullet price I'd be calling that breeder. So very sorry about the kids being heartbroken! Where are you located? Sorry if I missed it. I don't know if it would help but I could send you Ameraucana LF Blue/Black/Splash eggs for just the cost of shipping. They are beautiful eggs, I don't mind sharing. Pics of my birds are on my pages and also on my website.

Thank you for the offer goldensunriseranch. I'm not sure I'm up to it though. I'm a complete newbie at this and the chick stage did not go well for us, hence buying the older birds. I don't think I'm ready for egg hatching. Plus with the luck I seem to be having I'd get nothing but roos which the city doesn't allow.

Not sure what full prices are. I paid $25 for the 3 EEs and $10 for the Buff. They were just shy of 6wks old.

I called and got DH, she wasn't home. The 3 are EEs as the "parents" were "Ameraucana" from hatchery. Told him I think their Brahma roo is real daddy and he said with those legs probably. That's why they were sold as non show quality because not purebred, but he thought all Ameraucanas were mixed so....listed them as Ameraucana.

He didn't know about the "Ameraucanas" from the hatcheries not being true Ameraucanas. This is their first time with them and was more a whim than anything. So news to them.

He says pullets and if any of them start crowing, let them know. He was friendly and apologetic.

I will say she checked out my accommodations before agreeing to sell to me which I took as a good thing.

I know alot of people who have gotten EE's from hatcheries and they were called Ameraucanas. But even being EE's none of them ever had feathered legs. Even crossed with the brahma though if they do turn out as pullets it will be likely they will lay an olivish green egg. Maybe not on the bluer side, but hopefully at least green and not pink or brown.
Really the breeder should have been able to see feathered legs at 6 weeks and know that they were at least crossed with her Brahmas. I had an Ameraucana hen sneak out once when my cochins were freeranging. As soon as I saw a chick hatch with feathered legs, which I noticed instantly, I stopped setting her eggs to hatch. Her's were smallish pullet eggs so I could tell the difference. I would think she would have known right away they were crosses. Maybe she can at least swap them for non-feather legged EE's? I think the prices were high for what you wound up with.
hmm.png

I sure hope they do turn out as at least pullets for you!

Well, then they're EEs crossed with Brahmas. They'll probably be nice birds, but not only are they not "show quality," you'll be unable to show them because they're simply crosses; they're not a real chicken breed at all.

Still, I have both EEs and Ameraucanas, and they are both sweet. I've heard Brahmas are great, so I bet they'll be very friendly chickens. I have some EE crosses of my own, wheatens over Faverolles, and they look just like Favs except for the pea comb. I guess you could call the roosters golden duckwing EEs. The hens are lovely, too, with that salmon coloring. I wonder if they'll be a bit smaller than the Faverolles? So far they're not--they're much bigger than the pure wheatens. They're young, yet, though, and they certainly won't breed true. It would be neat if they did, what a pretty color variety that would be! Hm, Favacaunas.

It's too bad you won't be able to show the EEs you bought, though; honestly I feel for both of you: victims of the mislabeling most hatcheries do with that variety.
sad.png
Maybe the brahma will still be showable!

Quote:
HE may have thought that, but considering this

I came across a breeder. She raises and shows Brahmas and is a member of the ABC. She had 3 Ameraucana pullets she said were not suitable for show and 1 buff Brahma she said was.

SHE should know better. She knew why you wanted them and sold them to you like that...I think it's low, IMO if she knew they were mixed as he is saying. EE aside, them being mixed? Nooo.

I hope you get your money back for the mixes, at least, but I know that won't help for the kids and the show. :-(​

I have some like those from some blue eggs I bought to hatch. They are mutts or EE as I call them. Turns out the breeder's Cochin got in with her Arucana so I hatched out Arucana/Cochin mixed. They still should lay colored eggs as they came out of colored eggs.

I have some like those from some blue eggs I bought to hatch. They are mutts or EE as I call them. Turns out the breeder's Cochin got in with her Arucana so I hatched out Arucana/Cochin mixed. They still should lay colored eggs as they came out of colored eggs. She agrees they are mutts. I said it was ok as they were still cute and I wasn't showing but if I was showing I would have been even madder.

LOL DH thinks I overpaid too. As long as they're pullets I'll be satisfied. Heck, I thought I got a good deal. Darn, I really wanted blue eggs. Olive will be nice but I don't think the kids will appreciate them as much.

This is our 1st fair and hopefully I'll be able to get something for entries next year. Readily available breeds around here all fall into the categories that require 3 identical birds. I told DH that's just too difficult. Our identical RIR chicks all look different now. The BRs were perfect, but now with only 2 no longer qualify. Plus we're limited in how many chickens we can keep and no roos. So getting in to one of the classes that allows for just 1 bird seems the best way to go to me.

Wish me luck in my haggling with nine and ten yr olds for birds. I'll be lucky to get out with the shirt on my back I'm sure.
gig.gif

They are the sweetest birds. They play with the kids and the kids lug them around. Don't get me wrong, the RIRs and BRs are fine, just on the skittish side. Brahmas are supposed to be really good about kids and so far these are living up to that. I'd say EE/Brahma is a good mix.

Please be pullets, please be pullets, please be pullets........
fl.gif

Asher: I agree with you that SHE should have known better and should have said something. Yes she knew I didn't intend to show them, but she did know I wanted them for blue eggs which isn't likely given their parentage and impossible if roos. The feathered legs were obvious, so she knew they were mixed with Brahma IMHO. Which is why I won't buy more from her and made me questionable about Lessa's suitability. Unfortunately they are such sweethearts and adored that unless they are roos, they won't be going back for a refund.

Last edited:
Quote:
SHE should know better. She knew why you wanted them and sold them to you like that...I think it's low, IMO if she knew they were mixed as he is saying. EE aside, them being mixed? Nooo.

I hope you get your money back for the mixes, at least, but I know that won't help for the kids and the show. :-(

Ah, I had forgotten she said the "Ameraucanas" weren't suitable for show. Still, to me that says maybe the angle of the tail is off, the beard isn't full enough, the color isn't good--or maybe it's a splash. (Those can be purebred Ameraucanas and used to breed pure Ameraucanas, even if they're not a recognized color and can't be shown.)

They won't necessarily be green/olive eggs, either. They could be, but they could also just be brown. I understood egg color to come chiefly from the rooster...? Whether that's true or not, at this level of remove from the blue egg gene, you might not get green. Some EEs from hatcheries lay brown eggs, although most lay blue or green. Green is blue with brown egg "coloring" on top.

Maybe she just didn't think you would know the difference? Most people don't.

Is it the red? Is that the main reasoning for the roos? DH thinks I'm nuts as I keep staring and taking pics. If it's the red I may only have 1. My cameras causing the red. All but Hunter are a nude to peachy flesh color. Like in the middle pic. Hunter's more of a pinky color. Are these pics more helpful?

Lessa

12939_chick_pics_022.jpg

Scratch

12939_chick_pics_027.jpg

Hunter

12939_chick_pics_020.jpg

Smokey's were too blurry.

Back
Top Bottom