bought my firsr supply for chicks!

lucky5101

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 23, 2012
maryland
Went in Tractor Supply to look at chicken stuff and ask a few questions about chicks days. I wasn't really planning on getting anything, just pricing things out. Well I was looking at the feed, and one bag had a coupon on it for $1 off, and it was on sale. I figure that's a sign, so I bought it lol:p. I am also picking up some free supplies for the coop and run tomorrow from a couple people on freecycle.

How long do you think a 10lb bag of chick starter will last for 6 chicks?

One week until the new additions!

I think I remember it lasting a couple weeks if not more, but I could be wrong. It's been a while since I've bought only 6 chicks. Do you have any idea about what breed you want? Good Luck!

Last edited:
I really like australorps, marans, orpingtons, wyandottes, and I think my daughter would like a fuzzy silkie. I would really just like a variety, so I'm not set on any particular breeds.

a few weeks. 100 lbs est. is about how much it would take to get them to laying. Maybe more, 10 wont last them but a couple weeks. it starts out slow, but as they grow they eat like monsters!

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking I might exchange it for a bigger bag since I just noticed I bought starter/grower, not just starter...or would that be OK for the first couple weeks?
Our tsc still hasn't gotten any, but I called Southern States and the girl who orders them asked me what kind in was looking for, so maybe she will order one that I gave her :)

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking I might exchange it for a bigger bag since I just noticed I bought starter/grower, not just starter...or would that be OK for the first couple weeks?
Our tsc still hasn't gotten any, but I called Southern States and the girl who orders them asked me what kind in was looking for, so maybe she will order one that I gave her
smile.png
I think they need starter if they have that. I cant remember if the starter/grower is the same thing as just starter..

The starter/grower will be fine. I feed all of my chicks gamebird crumbles. The starter/grower just wont be medicated. Good luck with your peepers!
Nikki

Back
Top Bottom