Bought this coop online... any reviews on these coops?

surfchicken72

Songster
9 Years
Jun 3, 2010
Holbrook, Massachusetts
Hello... new chicken owner. In my defiance to owning them I refused to build the coop, so my wife bought one online..... and now the chicks are here (my defiance did not work..
wink.png
as usual ) Of course now that they are part of our home I only want the best for them. (I'm such a softie) Anyway.. any reviews on these products? We're in New England and just want to be sure these things are sturdy enough...

Coop Purchased:
http://www.critter-cages.com/index....id=710&zenid=d2871f31c4a57d0a3caebb7e92d0ed77

Thanks for any words of wisdom or criticism...
surfchicken72

It looks nice, not familiar 1st hand w/ that type of coop, how many chickens do you have? Also where are you in NE??? I'm in Hudson, MA & chicks arrive next week!
celebrate.gif

yup I have one-6 chickens will not be comfortable as they grow up to adulthood-I can see maybe 6 bantams but not large fowl at all. I thought mine would be bigger than the photo for some reason-you know where it is right now? In my yard after a year still trying to figure out what the heck to use it for because of how small it is? It WOULD be perfect for a trio of bantams though:)

Quote:
Well if it's warm enough couldn't you use it as a breeder coop? In my case if it had two nests, I could use it as broody coop. I had 4 hens go broody this spring and no where to put three of them. Hence a mess of hatching in relays and removal of chicks to keep the flow going. Poor hens were sitting for 6 wks instead of 4. Not to mention crosses. I was giving chicks away.

As for stopping at 6 birds? If you've got more than a small yard I wouldn't bet on anyone who said "oh i'm just gonna have six". I'll believe that when monkey's fly outta my butt!
gig.gif

uggggggh. very discouraging. we have 3 Rhode Island Reds and 3 Barred Rocks..... I'm guessing from the responses it's gonna be too small... and I also I thought they looked cheap... crap..... jeez... OK so it's basically firewood?

Quote:
Well if it's warm enough couldn't you use it as a breeder coop? In my case if it had two nests, I could use it as broody coop. I had 4 hens go broody this spring and no where to put three of them. Hence a mess of hatching in relays and removal of chicks to keep the flow going. Poor hens were sitting for 6 wks instead of 4. Not to mention crosses. I was giving chicks away.

As for stopping at 6 birds? If you've got more than a small yard I wouldn't bet on anyone who said "oh i'm just gonna have six". I'll believe that when monkey's fly outta my butt!
gig.gif

I could but then Id have to fence in the whole area-m guys free range all day and I would have to secure that thing up tight-we already added a ton of hardware in the Fall-I will eventually:) Id love to have enough room to put it back in the garage/ coop for a broody and I might just do that with one or two:) Thanks I never thought of that!

Back
Top Bottom