Bovan pullets eating their own poop?!?!?!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Carben, May 29, 2017.

1. Carben

Carben Just Hatched

May 29, 2017
    I have 5 bovan hen pullets that iv had for apx 3 weeks now. They should start laying in 2 weeks or so. They seem happy and comfortable. Spending time pecking outside on my grass trimmings from mowing, eating the scratch we give them once a day. They have full access to their mash pellets, grit and oyster shells. Iv expected to clean out the wood shavings by now (3 weeks) or atleast smell potent coop poop smell, but everytime I go in their coop it looks so clean. I can't tell if the poops are drying and crumbling in with the shavings or if they are eating it ... we are working on a larger exterior fully open "run". Until then I can't help but think maybe they are bored?!

rjohns39 likes this.
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They are probably scratching the poop into the shavings. I've never seen a chicken eat chicken poop.

biophiliac, rjohns39 and Hamiam like this.
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. Whilst I'd go with Oldhen's suggestion, my flock began eating poo a couple of days ago. I put it down to the millet that i give as treats being undigested in the poo. No more millet for them :)

rjohns39 and oldhenlikesdogs like this.
  4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Howdy! Yep, on occasion, chickens will eat feces. Some folks theorize the bird is getting needed minerals/beneficial bacteria. My pen seems to stay pretty clean as the chickens constant scratching breaks up the fecal matter so it breaks down quickly. (A good job for older hens who no longer lay-they make great garden soil preparers.)

rjohns39 likes this.
  5. Carben

Carben Just Hatched

May 29, 2017
    Hmm this is a good theory.. I wonder If it could be the chicken scratch we give them as treats.. I figure this would be a concerning behaviour so I will maybe try holding off on the scratch and check if there is more visible poop

rjohns39 likes this.
  6. Carben

Carben Just Hatched

May 29, 2017
    I can only hope they scratch it up and break it down. I do see them pecking at the coop floor (not picking up their poops) but I can't tell what they are pecking at. Extremely small matter of some sort... any ideas?

rjohns39 likes this.
  7. Carben

Carben Just Hatched

May 29, 2017
    Thanks everyone for the replies I will keep a look out what's going on in there

rjohns39 likes this.
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Chickens will eat horse poo, dog poo and likely any poo that attracts them. Dogs also eat poo. It's better just not to think about or no one would be eating eggs.:sick

JedJackson and rjohns39 like this.
  9. blackandtan

blackandtan Just Hatched

My turkeys started eating poo this year for the first time - not the nice firm poos but the really stinky baby crap ones! I went to the pen one day to find all of them with their beaks and heads covered in crap, they had a party in it! I know rabbits re-eat their soft poop for the nutrients, has anyone heard of birds doing this?

rjohns39 likes this.
  10. rjohns39

rjohns39 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    What makes chickens so Great for pasture cleanup behind cows and such, is that they spread it out, scratch it into the soil and remove all the bug larva. With deep litter in a coop you're probably seeing a little of both... Spread it out, bury it and remove any left overs.

Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so glad you joined us:ya

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by