box size

Ole rooster

Songster
8 Years
Jun 25, 2011
Milner, Georgia
I have a question I don't have the answer for. My feed box at the coop at this time is just one open box. I want to petition it so one square will hold layer feed, one scratch and hopefully the rest for the misc stuff. My question is what is the math for figuring how wide it needs to be if the container is 14 inches high and 14 inches deep. How wide do I need to make so it will hold a fifty pounds of feed?

Any idea?

Hmm. I think a 50 lb bag of feed is 4x18x36 (my best guess not looking at a bag). That 2,592 in^3. So, with 14x14xX as your feeder box, you'd need at least something 13.2 inches long (2592/(14x14))=X. Go home and measure a bag of feed then you can do the precise math. I don't think you'd want to put 50 lbs of feed in a feeder at one time if you don't have many chickens because it would spoil.

Thanks OC, my problem is storage. I don't have a place to store feed and know it will stay safe from varments except in the feed bin. I just have to figure a way to have the divider adjustable so I can experiment with the bin full. Wow, tough on an old brain.

Back
Top Bottom