Boy or Girl

Hayleigh Barnes

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 30, 2012
Australia
Hello everyone! I was just wondering if anyone could give me any help. I have had my muscovy duck for about about 5 months now ( I got him at 3 weeks old) and I was wondering if anyone could tell if it was a boy or girl?? I just assumed he is a boy as I've named him Leonard haha.. But please if anyone could tell me it would be greatly appreciated.

I love him/her to bits and I'm thinking of getting another one and I would like it to be of the opposite sex. So I would really like to know what he/she is. :p

Leonard as a baby. So cuuuuuuuttte.

Sorry, but I am going to disagree and say its a drake. It does not appear to have a feminine head and the amount of caruncles and their placement suggests male to me. Compared to the hens in the pictures, the duck looks larger. A muscovy female at that age will be shorter than a typical large fowl chicken (only way I could think to describe it) a drake will be larger than a chicken. A muscovy hen will weigh around 5 lbs.

What kind of noise can you get it to make? any honks/quacks? Boys/drakes NEVER do either, does it hiss and wag at you>? that's a drake... the facial flesh hard to tell by that, as i have some that will be 5mths mid Nov and have about the same, they are 100% drakes... lol

I'd like to see a better shot of it's legs and from the side actually, honestly by pictures it can be hard to tell especially if you lack any other 'scovies to put it up against.

Here is a snap of one of my young drakes his sister is in behind... early Oct so almost 4mths old.

and another one of my boys

He was 4mths old in this one... he is from the same clutch as the drake in the first pic yet has more flesh and still does...

Last edited:

This is my Drake with his two hens. They were this springs chicks. If you can pick up your bird and put it under one arm it is a hen. I cant begin to put Howard under my arm!! Both girls I can.
I think yours is a Drake too. Its is very wide through the chest like mine is. My hens are much narrower and a finer build.

Last edited:
he does hiss at my dog abd wags his tail alot. But he mostly makes a high pitched babbling noise. He/she never hisses at people. For example when its time to be let out of the coop in the morning he makes this high pitched babble its not loud though. Sort of mumbles to himself/herself. haha

haha i dont know about under the arm but we have to run after him for a bit then after a while he will give up abd just squat to the ground waiting to be picked up. at first we would grab him and hed squeal sorta and flail his legs around but know he just stays still when u hold him with two hands around him.

What kind of noise can you get it to make? any honks/quacks? Boys/drakes NEVER do either, does it hiss and wag at you>? that's a drake... the facial flesh hard to tell by that, as i have some that will be 5mths mid Nov and have about the same, they are 100% drakes... lol

I'd like to see a better shot of it's legs and from the side actually, honestly by pictures it can be hard to tell especially if you lack any other 'scovies to put it up against.

Here is a snap of one of my young drakes his sister is in behind... early Oct so almost 4mths old.

and another one of my boys

He was 4mths old in this one... he is from the same clutch as the drake in the first pic yet has more flesh and still does...

These guys are beautiful <3

This is my Drake with his two hens. They were this springs chicks. If you can pick up your bird and put it under one arm it is a hen. I cant begin to put Howard under my arm!! Both girls I can.
I think yours is a Drake too. Its is very wide through the chest like mine is. My hens are much narrower and a finer build.

Howard is a heaps cute name haha

Back
Top Bottom