BR laying age...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by spoolin, Mar 19, 2009.

1. spoolin

spoolin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    palm bay, FL
    i have 2 barred rocks that are about 6 months and still haven't layed any eggs! is there something wrong? at what age do they start laying? can i do something about it?
    thank you spoolin

2. jlmann

jlmann Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    They should start laying any time now since the weather is warming up and days are getting longer. Are you sure of their age? If they are molting it may take them a little longer. It is possible for them to hide eggs from you and some birds are better at this than others so be sure to look around for them especially if you notice one bird going off by itself. Good luck!

3. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    I only have one BR and she's 18 weeks and not laying yet but my 20 week old PRs are laying. Just got going this week.

Amount of light either artificial or sun light they get during the day helps get them laying. Also if all you have is shavings, try straw in the nests. In the past I have had some with no interest in laying in shavings immediately lay when given straw.

4. joshplus10

joshplus10 Out Of The Brooder

Quote:This happened to me! My girls ignore the shavings-filled boxes completely and sometimes use straw-filled ones. [​IMG]

They just started laying and often lay in funny places such as under the rabbit hutch. [​IMG]

5. spoolin

Mar 2, 2009
    palm bay, FL
    i have both shavings and straw.....

6. spoolin

Mar 2, 2009
    palm bay, FL
    anyone help me....at what age? and the crest is like tomtoe

7. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I got two the end of September and they started laying in early February. I used the light all winter though.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Anywhere from 18-28 weeks, usually. Most of my BR girls start laying between 19 and 24 weeks.

9. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Quote:I think jlmann is correct but I am new to fairly new to this myself. My pullets just started laying yesterday and they turned 20 weeks old yesterday. However, I think they started laying at 20 weeks because I timed it right when I ordered them and they just happened to turn 20 weeks in the spring. Good luck and keep us posted

10. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My BR was about 7 months old when she started to lay in December.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by