BR laying age...

spoolin

Songster
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
palm bay, FL
i have 2 barred rocks that are about 6 months and still haven't layed any eggs! is there something wrong? at what age do they start laying? can i do something about it?
thank you spoolin

They should start laying any time now since the weather is warming up and days are getting longer. Are you sure of their age? If they are molting it may take them a little longer. It is possible for them to hide eggs from you and some birds are better at this than others so be sure to look around for them especially if you notice one bird going off by itself. Good luck!

I only have one BR and she's 18 weeks and not laying yet but my 20 week old PRs are laying. Just got going this week.

Amount of light either artificial or sun light they get during the day helps get them laying. Also if all you have is shavings, try straw in the nests. In the past I have had some with no interest in laying in shavings immediately lay when given straw.

Quote:
This happened to me! My girls ignore the shavings-filled boxes completely and sometimes use straw-filled ones.
idunno.gif

They just started laying and often lay in funny places such as under the rabbit hutch.
roll.png

Quote:
I think jlmann is correct but I am new to fairly new to this myself. My pullets just started laying yesterday and they turned 20 weeks old yesterday. However, I think they started laying at 20 weeks because I timed it right when I ordered them and they just happened to turn 20 weeks in the spring. Good luck and keep us posted

Back
Top Bottom