BR poult walking in figure eights.

boxermom

Songster
10 Years
Feb 22, 2009
Spencer,IA
Just picked up 6 BR poults today from the feed store. They were shipped from the hatchery yesterday. All of them were really active at the store. I didn't get to choose them. The man just picked them up and said here. They all looked good to me, so I didn't press the issue. When I put them in the brooder, my friend noticed that one was walking in circles. As we watched, he would walk clockwise, then he would walk counter clockwise. Almost like a figure 8. (I named him "ocho"
lol.png
) He also didn't settle down very well and seems to pick on the others. I have seen him eat and drink. Is this something he'll grow out of , do I need to cull, or is there something I need to do?

Thanks Steve,
I'll try pics, but about all I can do is take them. DH down loads them for me, but I have failed at the instructions to post them. I'll see what we (he
smile.png
) can do. I haven't checked the poults yet this am. I'm heading out there as soon as the kids are on the bus.

I went out to check them this am. Ocho seems to be doing the same thing, but not as fast. They all seem to be eating, although I didn't need to add any food. I scratched on the dish and one attacked me, but let me pick him up w/o a struggle. This is all very different from the chicks that I have had in the past. (month
smile.png
) I added lytes to the water for the 2 barred rocks that I picked up also. Should I add to the turkeys? Could the game bird feed be too big?
idunno.gif
Am I just a "nervous Nellie."

If the crumbles are big you can grind them up some but if they are eating it now they should be ok. They won't eat much at first, once they start growing they will chow it down. You can use a "husband beater" (rolling pin) to roll and crush or a blender. It wouldn't hurt to add some vitamins to the water, like I said before they have been on a journey.

They like shiny things rings etc.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom