Brabanters and Spitzhaubens--The Differences PIC HEAVY!

Delicate? Mine were never delicate. They were pretty hardy even I only lost one due to shipping because a bunch of white rock chicks stomped or laid on it.
They shipped mine three times because they kept dying en route or soon after they arrived. Of the 12 I ordered, I have only 4 pullets left (no roos) - 2 have toenail deformities and two look good. Of the four my friend got, she has only one left.

I have 17 other chickens of various breeds and have not had any issues like this with the others.

I love the spitz - definitely my favorite but for me, with chicks from Ideal - delicate does not begin to describe it.

Last edited:
I have a broody Spitz. Too bad she went broody while I was away. The kid taking care of things had been instructed to gather the eggs, so gather them he did. I've let her keep the two eggs from the day i came home. I hope she doesn't quit halfway through.

the order I got in march 1 of the 6 died the first night, otherwise they have been tough little girls. they are much more friendly than I thought they would be also

How terrible. I've gotten day olds from various hatcheries and not had those problems. I'm so sorry for you... I know how disappointing it must be.
It was terrible as I was trying to nurse these silly little birds and they kept dying one by one in my hands.

Ideal kept shipping them with no packing peanuts in January - they arrived in very poor condition.

I'd love to get a couple of good quality roos with which to breed my girls. I however now have 21 chickens (small backyard flock) and am not going to do the chick thing again until next fall.

the order I got in march 1 of the 6 died the first night, otherwise they have been tough little girls. they are much more friendly than I thought they would be also
I love these little girls. Although one has a vitamin deficiency (Carla recommended the poly-vi-sol & it seems to work) so I named her Flopsy. She has the most amazing blue ears! I'm sure that is not supposed to go with the breed but it looks so cool!

Named another Hoppy as she loves nothing more than to hop up on my shoulder (& head if she can). I know it is just a seeking high ground behavior but it is very cute.

The other two are very skittish and have not been named - although according to what I have read they have the best body/crest configuration to the breed specs.

Would anyone be offended if I bred Spitz to have blue ears?

I agree with Hallerlake, I'm NOT impressed with them.

There has been several Ebay auctions on Spitz eggs but it is getting to be fewer and farther in between.

Back
Top Bottom