Brahma Breeders thread

Are you talking about sale birds, or both show and sale birds ? I was curious how this AI scare was going to affect attendance.

If this was anything like a normal Brahma National, I would imagine the sale birds left on a Sunday morning was a fraction of the Brahmas that were there Friday afternoon. If you don't have something prearranged with a breeder, it pays to get to a show as early as possible.
i have no idea how many were there before today, they had all of the show birds in one building and the for sale birds in another, which i hit both since the show was over , i was looking at a cock admiring him when a gentleman came up and took him out, and i told the gentleman he could go ahead and hand me the cock to take home when he told me he had bought him and the lady had another one for sale, she took me to the truck and needless to say that one came home with me, hes a beauty and i'm not much for the lights or buffs but this one has changed my mind, the lady told me if i have any problems to email. that her husband is the president of the brahma club in mich. and his name is kim aldrich and i remembered the name from here, we also talked about you a little with me telling her i would love to have some of your stock. i think the only problem i will have is getting him acclimated before winter hits being as hes used to a heated barn.

i have no idea how many were there before today, they had all of the show birds in one building and the for sale birds in another, which i hit both since the show was over , i was looking at a cock admiring him when a gentleman came up and took him out, and i told the gentleman he could go ahead and hand me the cock to take home when he told me he had bought him and the lady had another one for sale, she took me to the truck and needless to say that one came home with me, hes a beauty and i'm not much for the lights or buffs but this one has changed my mind, the lady told me if i have any problems to email. that her husband is the president of the brahma club in mich. and his name is kim aldrich and i remembered the name from here, we also talked about you a little with me telling her i would love to have some of your stock. i think the only problem i will have is getting him acclimated before winter hits being as hes used to a heated barn.

I wouldn't think that would be much of an issue this early into the fall, doubt they have run the heat much yet.

@BIG MEDICINE
temps might be a problem since hes used to 50*s but hes fine this morning and it went down to 28 last night, already letting the other cocks know that hes here, he has a really deep crow kendra did say they already had the heat on but i'm sure he will be fine, if worse comes to worse, my bird room is just about empty
gig.gif

Let's see if this works. Here are a couple pics of my girls. Madea is the one with the egg, Skye is the really light colored one, and Everesteroids is the really dark one that was camera shy. She's behind Madea in the last pic. You can only see her tale lol. Skye is so much smaller than the other 2. She and Evereste are about a month younger than Madea. Also Madea just laid her 6th egg this afternoon.

Guess it didn't work. I'll try to get some posted. I need some advice from all you experienced people please. I was inside the house for a couple hours getting dinner made, and eaten. When I went to put the "gang" to bed in the coop Skye wasn't with them. I found her with her head stuck through the fence and a hole about the size of a nickel on the back of her neck. Could this be from one of the boys trying to mate with her? Or a dominant wound because she's on the bottom of the pecking order? I brought her into the house and have her in a dog/ cat carrier on a towel. I cleaned the wound with some warm water, and baby soap. She had some blood on a few feathers but I didn't trim back the feathers. I put some good old fashioned bacitracin on it and some new skin on the part that was bleeding. It looks like someone used a nickel sized cookie cutter and just took the skin. The muscle is fine underneath just exposed. She's actually the sweetest out of the 5 I have. Skye is the smallest and lightest colored of all of them. If it is from 1 of the boys then they will be removed, and kept by themselves to fatten up. I would rather have to get another boy than lose her. She talked to me the whole time I was tending to her wound, and both my baby boys cried after seeing it. She just looked around and talked to us. I'm going to try to feed her and give her water tomorrow. She's probably going to stay in the house until she's better though. Even my husband flat out told me to keep her in after he saw the wound. The man that told me to keep all the **** chickens outside when I got them lmbo. He's not as much of a meany as he would like everyone to believe. He's even gone in the bathroom to check on her, and talk to her. Please give me some pointers to get her through this. Even if I cooked the other 4 she would be staying.

Well I'm going to cull the boys from the flock. Poor Skye was attacked a 2nd time and right in front of me. So i know it's the boys doing it. Maybe next year wjen i order more chicks I'll get another brahma cockerel. Tonight I'll cull 1 and tomorrow maybe the other. I can't handle aggression in my flock. I have to protect the girls. Maybe I'll go with a Buff or Light next time. It's rotten but a fact of life. I'm going to try and reintroduce Skye after I cull the one boy. Maybe have 1 gone will help calm the dominant boy. I can only try. If it doesn't work then the dominant boy will be culled.

Last edited:
I'm back from my adventures and trying to catch up. DesertBrahma give me a call when you have a couple of minutes free.

Looks like everyone has carried on just fine without me.

Question: I have 9 partridge cockerels. Two have very nice heads but not so much nice combs. A different two have very nice combs, but heads are a little smaller. Which would you choose to breed with everything else being equal?

I'm back from my adventures and trying to catch up. DesertBrahma give me a call when you have a couple of minutes free.

Looks like everyone has carried on just fine without me.

Question: I have 9 partridge cockerels. Two have very nice heads but not so much nice combs. A different two have very nice combs, but heads are a little smaller. Which would you choose to breed with everything else being equal?

Welcome back.

I would give preference to the wider heads. Combs would be easier to correct later than narrow heads, I would think.

Welcome back.

I would give preference to the wider heads. Combs would be easier to correct later than narrow heads, I would think.
That's what I was thinking as well. I'll see if I can't get some pics tomorrow. All of the boys are still together in the bachelor pad, so taking pictures is a challenge at best. The girls all have nice combs, so maybe I would be able to get a bird or two out of them that have nice combs and nice head. Some of these combs are really wonky, almost like a buttercup with a single comb in the middle. I need to do some research to see if I can figure out the genetics and whether I can breed it out or not. They are all pretty young yet, so their heads will probably improve as they get older. I need to do some culling though, so need to make some decisions.

Back
Top Bottom