Brahma Breeders thread

Pics
They have to molt out the brassy feathers. Washing won't help. Brassiness has to be prevented by keeping birds you are planning on showing shaded.

Tim

Did you get your "Scanner"? That would be a good indication your membership has been processed. Got mine yesterday.

Tim
Yes, I did. Just never got anything else up until just the other day
idunno.gif

Had to do my first cull of the season today. Three of the buff chicks were falling way behind in size, so they got the hatchet. They were three weeks old and looked more like the younger chicks with more feathers. Their hatch mates looked so much bigger than they did. The hatchet I got for Christmas worked a lot better than the one I used before. Made it less traumatizing for me.

As of right now I only have seven light brahmas as compared to the 50ish buffs I have. Just put six eggs in the bator this morning after their three week break
roll.png
. Hopefully next year I'll have some nice competitive lights and hopefully the buffs will at least be improved some. They still need to be widened up, but they're pretty close just not quite there. I'm going to cross the buffs back to the lights next year in hopes to get some more width on them.

Had to do my first cull of the season today. Three of the buff chicks were falling way behind in size, so they got the hatchet. They were three weeks old and looked more like the younger chicks with more feathers. Their hatch mates looked so much bigger than they did. The hatchet I got for Christmas worked a lot better than the one I used before. Made it less traumatizing for me.

As of right now I only have seven light brahmas as compared to the 50ish buffs I have. Just put six eggs in the bator this morning after their three week break
roll.png
. Hopefully next year I'll have some nice competitive lights and hopefully the buffs will at least be improved some. They still need to be widened up, but they're pretty close just not quite there. I'm going to cross the buffs back to the lights next year in hopes to get some more width on them.
I have 9 week old Brahmas with the following weights:
Pullet-1- 650 g
Cockerel- 708 g
Pullet-2 - 810 g
Pullet- 3 - 880 g

I feel like I should give away/cull pullet 1 and the cockerel, however she is the one with the brightest of white color and the more pronounced beetle brow. What shall I do?

First off don't cull based on weight at this point. Brahmas get their frame first then they put on weight. Since you only have a few I would just grow them up and see how they turn out.

Back
Top Bottom