Brahma Breeders thread

Pics
Yeah I agree.
thumbsup.gif

Just what exactly is a "sikie"? And why do you love them?.
Well, I don't love them, but I've had a mix that I liked because she was a great broody. I understand that the males will also help raise a brood, but I've never had a male so I don't know from personal experience. Most folks like them because they will go broody about 3-4 times a year. They raise a brood, then lay a few eggs then go back to broodiness over and over like a machine.

So, they are supposed to be chickens, but their feathers are not like feathers....they are more like hair stuck on feather shafts. The "hair" also usually is a crest that hangs over the eyes. They have 5 toes and are feather footed. They are small chickens, usually not quite as small as a bantam of most breeds, but probably about the same size as one of your bantams.

I suspect that you are being facetious, but they are generally about as useful as a polish IMHO.....great entertainment value.
lau.gif

I think you must be talking about SILKIES, I was wondering what a S I K I E was, and why "sikie lover" loved them.

BTW....you sure do know a lot about silkies?

I think you must be talking about SILKIES, I was wondering what a S I K I E was, and why "sikie lover" loved them.

BTW....you sure do know a lot about silkies?
LOL! I misread, must be these old eyes of mine.
cool.png

I learned about silkies when I was researching what kind of chicken I wanted to breed a few years ago. Silkies were so popular, and I was trying to figure out why? So, I learned about them and had the one mix that was handed down to me from someone else.

Like I said, similar to Polish in my mind.........entertaining. I'm more interested in heritage, dual purpose breeds for what I need around here, you know eggs & meat.
big_smile.png

My Buffs r not quit 4 months now. I will takes some pics today if the dang rain will STOP!! They r getting good size. Very nice feathered feet and getting the hawk head. Man can they EAT! I have gone through 150lbs of feed this month. Have 15. Plus 4 others. Unfortunately I have 10 cockerels and only 5 pullets. But might not be a bad thing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom