Brahma Breeders thread

Pics
This pullet won Best Asiatic at the Ohio National.

I don't have a good picture of a V, but you can see it sort of in this side by side. The blue pullet has a fairly nice U but needs to be wider at the bottom and the cockerel has a bit of a V or pinched tail.

Thanks for the pics. Now I know what i'm looking for. :)

Here is a nice "well spread inverted U" like the standard describes. VERY few birds shown have this. MOST will have at least a bit of a "peak" or more of a V. I would not cull a bird for a "peaked" tail only. That being said, the "inverted U" should be the goal if "Standard Bred" birds are your desire. There is no such thing as a perfect bird.

Tim

Here is a nice "well spread inverted U" like the standard describes. VERY few birds shown have this. MOST will have at least a bit of a "peak" or more of a V. I would not cull a bird for a "peaked" tail only. That being said, the "inverted U" should be the goal if "Standard Bred" birds are your desire. There is no such thing as a perfect bird.

Tim
Thank you as well Tim. Trying to raise decent birds is hard. lol

Does anyone think partridge Brahmas have a chance to be accepted?
I think it will depend on how many breeders can be found and how many good examples of the breed show at the qualifying meet. Since the new requirements are that there are 5 breeders, that have been breeding for 5 years and that they have been members of APA for the entire 5 years, it might be a close call. We'll see. However, if Dee manages to get them to consider the color, then we need to be prepared to take our birds to a qualifying show. We will need 10 exhibitors with a total of 100 birds for the qualifying show. I know that I've let her know that middle of the country might be best in order to maximize the number of birds and breeders that can get there. So, we'll see what happens. She's working on the standard right now and hopefully will be able to submit it soon.

With all of that said, after being at the Ohio National in November, I can tell you that we have some work to do on our birds to get them to the standard for the Brahma, regardless of the color. The problems that I've seen in my flock are that their backs tend to be shorter, the pullet/hen heads tend to be more petite, the comb and wattles tend toward irregular, there is a real problem with the body shape from the top and vulture hocks are still a problem, including "soft" vulture hocks.

What we can do: Make sure you are breeding the best examples that you have. Cross them with some excellent darks (which are also hard to find). Cull liberally and test all of your breeding stock for vulture hocks. I'm working very hard to bring the color up to the standard and am encouraging any breeders that I know to do the same.

So, if you haven't yet, join APA and get the SOP. Read it, study it, ask questions. Then, join the American Brahma Club so that you are able to find birds that you can cross with to not only keep your lines diverse, but so that you can find some good darks to get the "type" set. It will take us a few years, but with work and persistence, we should be able to get this color recognized. I'd also love to see the laced get recognized, although I don't personally own or breed any, but I think it would add some diversity to the breed.

Sorry for the long response. There are those that say that the partridge (BTW, I prefer to call them gold because they aren't a true partridge color without the red enhancer) is a fad, along with the other colors and patterns. Yes, it is a fad. But, when a fad becomes overwhelming (I refuse to get into political discussions....so just fill in whatever fad you want here) then it becomes a norm.

Hey guys just wanted to post a few pics of my brahmas,would like some of you breeders opinions,i raise blue,blue partridge and partridge. The birds pictured are 5 MO and the pullets are just starting to lay and still have alot of filling out to do. Thanks

pulled the SOP off the shelf last night, so much to apply, made me envious of those that have a poultry judge for a friend to help cull.
if I remember past reading of other threads "Yellow House Farm" had several judging cages set up to aid in the process. I am getting excited about breeding/hatching season. The new coop/pen is complete with new brahma nest boxes and enough square feet, at least for now.

Seems everyone is getting Blue Gold Partridge Brahmas these day...here's some pics of my new guys..."constructive" criticism welcomed....:)

Seems everyone is getting Blue Gold Partridge Brahmas these day...here's some pics of my new guys..."constructive" criticism welcomed....:)

The second female appears to be closer to columbian pattern, either splash, or dominant white on buff.

Not a fan of their skulls, all look to be leaning toward over refined crow heads. Sorry.

This probably isn't where I should ask for this advice, but I have a wee bit of a problem.

I don't get to see my granddaughter very often, maybe once a month if I'm lucky. She helped me collect eggs when she was here 3 weeks ago (you're guessing what's coming aren't you?) and she begged me to incubate the eggs she collected. So, today is hatch day. Of course, I couldn't say no to her. Anyway, so far, only one of the three has hatched. One looks like it was a quitter and the other that hasn't hatched looked good at lock down. I am so afraid that I'm going to have a lone chick here to raise, and I've never raised only one before. No options about getting another chick or two from a neighbor, nobody is hatching at the moment.

Does anyone have any advice? Keep in mind that she will be looking for this chick every time she comes to visit.

Back
Top Bottom