Brahma Breeders thread

Pics
bumpercarr...Can you show me what you are talking about with the tail? The difference between the V tail & the U? Pics would be great. :) Thanks!

This pullet won Best Asiatic at the Ohio National.

I don't have a good picture of a V, but you can see it sort of in this side by side. The blue pullet has a fairly nice U but needs to be wider at the bottom and the cockerel has a bit of a V or pinched tail.

Last edited:

Here is a nice "well spread inverted U" like the standard describes. VERY few birds shown have this. MOST will have at least a bit of a "peak" or more of a V. I would not cull a bird for a "peaked" tail only. That being said, the "inverted U" should be the goal if "Standard Bred" birds are your desire. There is no such thing as a perfect bird.

Tim

I am new to the Brahma breed of chicken. I've had chickens for about nine years now but just got into the brahmas this year.I have eight buff brahmas that I bought last spring and summer. I was wanting to raise some more next spring. I was looking for a local breeder that may have some buff brahmas I could buy to add to my flock. Does anyone know of a breeder of quality show buff brahma LF near southeast Missouri that I may be able to get some nice birds from?

I have buffs that have been coming along quite nicely over the years. I'm planning to hatch about 100 buffs and 100 lights for the upcoming hatching season. Dont know if I'll be of any help to you since I'm in northeast Ohio.

I have buffs that have been coming along quite nicely over the years. I'm planning to hatch about 100 buffs and 100 lights for the upcoming hatching season. Dont know if I'll be of any help to you since I'm in northeast Ohio.

Question:
How many hens (pullets) will you use to get 100 chicks and how many weeks will it take to get to your goal (eggs per day)?

Question:
How many hens (pullets) will you use to get 100 chicks and how many weeks will it take to get to your goal (eggs per day)?
I know you're not asking me, but since I've been doing the math lately I thought I'd give you an answer. I figure on the low side for everything so that I'm not disappointed. Most pullets/hens will lay 4-5 eggs a week, so we'll use 4. A solid hatch rate is about 75-80%. We'll use 75% (I usually use 50% for myself because of my altitude which reduced hatch rate). So, to get 100 chicks, you need to set 134 eggs (100/0.75=133.33). If you had one pullet/hen that laid 4 eggs a week, that would be 33.5 weeks worth of eggs, 2 pullets/hens 17 weeks, 3 pullets/hens 11 weeks, 4 pullets/hens 8.5 weeks, 5 pullets/hens 6.5 weeks.....you can do the math I think. I rounded up most of these numbers, but you get the gist.

My personal method is to collect eggs all week and set them all on the same day for that week's hatch. That way I am always expecting a hatch on the same day, i.e. Friday. In the past I had 4 incubators, each one for a different hatch week and rotated them. I'm getting a Sportsman 1502 for Christmas from Santa, so I'll be able to keep them all in the same incubator, one shelf for each week and the hatcher for the last 3 days. Hope that makes sense.

Question:

As far as the buffs are concerned I have six pullets I'm going to be breeding this year. I go for either 3 or 4 eggs a week per bird. Hatching will start in February. My buffs generally have a high hatch rate I'll just say 90%. So 6 pullets times 3 eggs a week is 18. 90% of that is about 16 hatching a week. 100/16 is Six and a quarter weeks.That's if everything goes as planned which it usually doesn't. Hope that helps.

thanks for the answers.
I only had one pullet last year so...... I had nothing to go on in what to expect (sample size was too small with only one). Currently I have the one hen and three additional pullets. I would be very pleased with your estimates.

Back
Top Bottom